MESURE UP: It would take 453 of me, stack foot to head, to reach the top of the Burj Khalifa standing at 2,716.5 feet and shown lit up at night. (dont look too closely, Ive been skipping leg day)
Travel log: Dubai
April 12, 2024

Merritt Helps Students Get Involved Through Craft

Welding teacher
METAL+MAN%3A+Mr.+Shawn+Merritt+help+his+students+in+welding+class.+Merritt+joined+the+high+school+staff+after+working+in+the+community+as+a+police+officer.+
METAL MAN: Mr. Shawn Merritt help his students in welding class. Merritt joined the high school staff after working in the community as a police officer.

Welders and metal workers of SVHS know Mr. Shawn Merritt as a hands-on teacher who helps them learn his craft as heading up needed projects around the school and community.

Merritt has been teaching at the school for almost 3 years. Fond of repeating the phrase “Fair enough,” Merritt once worked as a policeman before coming to the high school where he has worked for the last 3 years.

Merritt routinely takes five students to WWCC in Rock Springs Wyoming to compete out of school and possibly earn scholarships. 2023 alumnus Anna Kallgren, older sister of junior Ashlynn, earned $5000 dollars in scholarships and won $2000 in welding equipment last year.

The welding shop purchased new welding machines last year that have and helped  classes build and learn with newer technology, such as the super cool plasma table, Mr Merritt’s favorite tool in the shop.

In addition, Merritt, as a  thoughtful member of his community, helped his students build a welding trailer the class has used around the community and the high-school.

Merritt’s class is working on the Star on the hill above Afton to make it more stable and look nicer and last longer. Community project like these help the students get involved and gives them something to look back on.

Merritt’s goal is produce successful students; he doesn’t want anyone to fail his class. He takes this responsibility on himself. “Teachers are there to teach and to help students that don’t understand their work.”