MESURE UP: It would take 453 of me, stack foot to head, to reach the top of the Burj Khalifa standing at 2,716.5 feet and shown lit up at night. (dont look too closely, Ive been skipping leg day)
Travel log: Dubai
April 12, 2024

New Academic Support Tuesday Gives Students Choice to Make

Sleep in or get extra help in a class?
Taylor Cram
STUDY BUDDIES: Students work in the Library on Tuesday morning during academic support time.

The SVHS counselors, staff, and administration are always doing their best to help students. Their newest way of doing that is the new Academic Support Tuesday. This addition was introduced February 13th, 2024. There are many various opinions on this new addition, and on whether it is going to help improve student grades. Some think it is needed and welcome, others feel many students will not take advantage of this gift from the administration and that it may be a waste of teacher time.

One of the biggest reasons this addition was made was to give students the opportunity to speak with teachers and get help with completing school work. This might not be the most effective way, though, because it takes place in the morning for thirty minutes and no attendance is taken, so all the students who drive to school but do need to improve their grades may choose to sleep in rather than take advantage of it.

Mr. Dave Moore said, “I think that the AS Tuesday is a great idea. Students can come in and get help for things that they missed during the previous week due to activities so that they will not become academically ineligible.  For the upper class men who drive and are caught up, they can have an extra half hour to sleep.”

A possible downside these Academic Support Tuesdays is they take away from class time on Tuesdays, sacrificing class time for something that not very many people will take advantage of. On the other hand, the students not showing up for it are sleeping in which can help with increasing productivity. So which side is right?

Senior Gavin Cazier said he thought that this was a good addition, but he wishes it would have been implemented earlier so he could have gotten more use out of it. So far, thoughts on the Academic Support Tuesdays have been positive, and the future of the practice looks promising.