MESURE UP: It would take 453 of me, stack foot to head, to reach the top of the Burj Khalifa standing at 2,716.5 feet and shown lit up at night. (dont look too closely, Ive been skipping leg day)
Travel log: Dubai
April 12, 2024

Behind the Scenes from Guys and Dolls

Get an inside view of the progress of SVHS’s upcoming musical
HEY+GUYS%3A+Production+director+Tammy+Nielson+works+with+some+of+her+Guys+and+Dolls+cast+during+the+preliminary+stages+of+getting+the+musical+ready+for+the+stage+in+March.+
Dewi Collard
HEY GUYS: Production director Tammy Nielson works with some of her Guys and Dolls cast during the preliminary stages of getting the musical ready for the stage in March.

The musical department goes above and beyond when it comes to their productions and this year’s musical Guys and Dolls is no exception. They are currently investing a tremendous amount of time and effort into every aspect, including blocking, singing, acting, and choreography, of their newest show that will play March 14-16. 

The directors and choreographers meticulously plan out the movements and positions of the actors on stage. They ensure that every movement enhances the storytelling and creates visually stunning scenes. It takes countless hours of rehearsals and fine-tuning to perfect the blocking, but the end result will hopefully be a seamless and captivating performance.

The singing during a production must be truly exceptional. Cast members attend many practices to develop their voices and hit all the notes with precision. During “Sue Me,” a musical number sung by Miss Adelaide and Nathan Detroit, played by Emalitzy Almanza and Brock Haderlie, there are many different beats and lots of emotion, and the dedication and practice they put into their singing is evident in the powerful and harmonious melodies that fill the auditorium. The audience will be left in awe of the talent and hard work displayed by all the performers.

When it comes to acting, the students deliver outstanding performances. They immerse themselves in their roles, bringing the characters to life with depth and authenticity. The actors rehearse their lines for hours, exploring their characters’ motivations, and perfecting their delivery. Their commitment to their craft shines through in every scene, leaving the audience captivated and emotionally invested in the story.

“Some people think you have to act like the character you are cast as, but that is not entirely true. You have to become that character and be them in every single aspect,” said junior Michelle Stucki, who plays Sarah Brown, a missionary and love interest of the musical lead character Sky Masterson who will be played by Jaden Robinson.

The choreography in the musicals is nothing short of impressive. The choreography is intricate and dynamic, requiring the dancers to be in sync and execute complex moves with precision. In one of the musical numbers, “Sit Down You’re Rockin’ The Boat” performed by Nicely Nicely and played by Adam Bringhurst, there are lots of little dancing details that take time, but the students are mastering the choreography and perfecting their technique. The result will add to the breathtaking dance numbers and add an extra layer of excitement and energy to the musical.

Producer Gina Fullmer stated, “These kids can be difficult to wrangle up sometimes because of all the fun they are having, but when it really comes to it, they buckle down and get things done.”

The school’s dedication to their musical productions is truly remarkable. The time and effort they put into everything creates unforgettable performances that showcases the incredible talent and hard work of the students and staff involved. It’s a true testament to their passion for the arts and their commitment to delivering exceptional shows.

“I am very proud to direct these kids and I admire all their hard work. They amaze me more and more everyday,” stated the production director Tami Nielson.