MESURE UP: It would take 453 of me, stack foot to head, to reach the top of the Burj Khalifa standing at 2,716.5 feet and shown lit up at night. (dont look too closely, Ive been skipping leg day)
Travel log: Dubai
April 12, 2024

Casablana Still Lookin’ Good after 85 Years

As any student from Mr. Fullmer’s Film Appreciation class can tell you, if you take the class, you’re going to watch Casablanca.

Casablanca is a timeless classic that has captured the hearts of audiences for decades. This iconic film, directed by Michael Curtiz, is a true masterpiece that weaves together romance, drama, and wartime intrigue in a way that leaves a lasting impression.

The first time I watched Casablanca was in Mr. Fullmer’s class. I liked its powerful storyline that gets through to people. I also liked the characters that I could easily relate to.  

What struck me most about Casablanca‘ is its ability to balance romance and political intrigue. The film explores themes of sacrifice, honor, and the complexities of love. 

Casablanca won three Oscars awards and is most famous for evoking the notions of honor, loyalty, friendship and duty. Casablanca is said to be one of the greatest films ever made and ranks as the third greatest film ever on AFI top 100 list. The  famous line, “Here’s looking at you kid”, has become an iconic and repeated hundreds of times in other movies, TV shows, and video games. 

“It was old but I liked it,” said senior Clay Merritt who watched the movie his junior year in Mr. Fullmer’s class. 

“I liked this movie, one of the first movies to introduce “the love triangle” troupe. The music within this is good and has deep meaning,” said Luke Wollebaek.  He had watched it for the first time as a sophomore in Film Appreciation. 

Casablanca reflects the human condition during a time of uncertainty and turmoil explores themes of patriotism, sacrifice, and the power of making the right choices. A long time and a long way from Star Valley, but the movie hits home in just the right way.