MESURE UP: It would take 453 of me, stack foot to head, to reach the top of the Burj Khalifa standing at 2,716.5 feet and shown lit up at night. (dont look too closely, Ive been skipping leg day)
Travel log: Dubai
April 12, 2024

Cross Country Boys Repeat as State Winners

RUNNIN’ FOR MILES: Junior Habtamu Wetzel competing in state cross country. He finished the race with a time of 15.48 to win the individual state title. “It felt really good to win after all the work I put in all season,” said Wetzel.

The cross country team returned as repeat state champions with a resounding win on October 21st, cementing the Braves place as the Cross Country Mecca of Wyoming.

Not only did the team win state, but the individual winner, Habtamu Wetzel, crossed the finish line in crimson and gold as well.

SVHS moved to 4A last year, and while that meant facing bigger schools, the team has exceeded everyone’s expectations, winning state their first two years in the new classification. Other all-state placers on the boys team included Jase Burton, Peter Lorch, Drake Plowman and Colton Cranney.

“Winning state was good. I have been working all season for it, so it felt good to win,” said junior Habi Wetzel. His winning time was 15 minutes and 48 seconds for the 5k. Extremely fast.

With all that long distance running, athletes like Wetzel naturally listen to something to help pass the miles and the time. “I listen to music for the long runs. I like Lil Baby.”

All season long fellow junior Jase Burton pushed his teammate Wetzel.”State was super epic.  I ran a 15.58 which isn’t my best time, but we got what we needed to do done.” Burton was the second fastest runner in the state right behind Wetzel.

This team was confident going in to the state competition and it paid off because hard work and confidence has always worked for them in the past.