MESURE UP: It would take 453 of me, stack foot to head, to reach the top of the Burj Khalifa standing at 2,716.5 feet and shown lit up at night. (dont look too closely, Ive been skipping leg day)
Travel log: Dubai
April 12, 2024

Special Olympians Hit Track, Mount Podium

Sadie Erickson
CIRCLE UP: Special Olympians have fun playing with a parachute in the aux gym. The photo is reminiscent of the Special Olympics logo showing figures holding hands in a circle of unity.
READY, SET, GO: Jade Waldron and his fellow athletes and fans line up to compete. The fall Special Olympics took place on the SVHS track. “Special olympics was a lot of fun, and I loved all the stuff I got to do,” said Waldron.

On Friday, Oct. 20, Special Olympians got their chance to shine.

High School Athletes Tabby Olsen, Jhayce’n Killingbeck, Bradford Cottam, Jade Waldron, Weston Tyler, and Josh Delgado joined other participants from elementary schools, the middle school, and graduates who still wanted to compete.

Not only did the Special Olympians get a chance to compete, but students from the high school were able to help as well. Mrs. Sarah Carlson, who helps with Special Olympics, said, “Each athlete has a peer from school. Their peer is kind of like a support person, and that person helps them with each event and makes sure they are doing what they are supposed to.”

WINNERS: Weston Tyler and Josh Delgado stand tall and proud as they show off their medals. “Special Olympics was really good. I loved doing everything, and I had so much fun,” said Delgado.

Special Olympics has a mission statement from Herbert J. Kramer that says, “Let me win. But if I cannot win, let me be brave in the attempt.” Some of the events included outdoor activities like track and cycling events.

The  Special Olympics logo pictures five figures in a circle holding hands. Carlson described this logo as signifying unity and showing that all kids can help each other in some way. “Special Olympics can encourage them by making them feel like they can succeed and it’s not all about the metals or crossing the finish line, it’s mainly about everyone out there supporting them,” said Carlson.

Special olympics is a sports organization for children and adults who have disabilities to participate in different activities that allows them to race against each other to see who can win. Students can also have tons of fun while doing this, so it’s not all about winning the whole olympics. “The kids love it when people cheer their name because it makes them feel like they can do anything,” said Carlson.

Junior Jade Waldron said, “Special olympics was a lot of fun and I loved all the stuff I got to do.”

To these Special Olympians, it doesn’t matter if they get a shiny metal or if they win; they just like to have fun.