MESURE UP: It would take 453 of me, stack foot to head, to reach the top of the Burj Khalifa standing at 2,716.5 feet and shown lit up at night. (dont look too closely, Ive been skipping leg day)
Travel log: Dubai
April 12, 2024

Football Team Goes Back To Elementary School

Rachelle Patterson
BIG DAWG: Bryson Nield puts the moves on junior defenders during a visit from the Braves to Afton Elementary. Some team members made the trip during homecoming week. “They couldn’t guard me, I juked them all out,” said Nield.

Football has built a sizable culture over the years in the valley, and they have a chance to add to it every fall during homecoming.

During homecoming week flames light the SV Metalwork, girls beat each other up playing Powderpuff, Mr. SVHS dons his crown, and the football players go visit the students of Afton Elementary. 

Kids at Afton Elementary look up the football players as role models. The event is not just one-sided. The players get something out of it too. “It makes me wanna be a better person because I want the kids to look up to me like how I looked up to the football players when i was a kid,” said senior Simon Gaskell.

Events like this one puts the responsibility of good conduct on the players. “It also makes me want to have better sportsmanship because I know they are looking up to me,” continued Gaskell. 

The Braves did more than just play football with the tots, they also played basketball, four square. 

Even though it may looked like fun and games to the casual observer, Coach Young uses trips like this to build his program for future, teach civic responsibility, and build character in his players.“It makes me try to always set a better example because I realized that the kids look up to me in anything I do, good or bad,” said #3 junior wide receiver Bryson Nield.

The visit turned out to be a positive experience for all involved and really strengthened the culture surrounding Star Valley High School football.