Star Valley vs. Jackson

Rivalry helps define two schools
FRONT LINES: Star Valley’s defense lines up against the Bronc offense in a 2019 playoff game. Star Valley would beat Jackson 42-21 to advance the State Championship. “That was one of the biggest Star Valley/Jackson games ever,” said Coach Kelly Merritt.

In 1931 a rivalry was born. For the first time in history Star Valley played Jackson Hole in a football game. It was the first ever match up of any sport between the two teams and would give birth to a rivalry students from both towns would grow up with. Jackson won the game 12-0, but Star Valley would take the rematch later in that season 25-19.

Since then the two schools have battled with each other in a variety of other sports. No matter which sport it is though, the duel between these two schools always has the attention of the citizens who consistently come out in droves to watch the Braves battle the Broncs. 

DIFFERENT BALL GAME: Triston Hilton is now stranger to suiting up against the northern SVHS rival. He has faced the Broncs on the football field and the basketball floor. “It’s a completely different atmosphere,” said Hilton.

“It’s a completely different atmosphere,” said Tristen Hilton, quarterback  and varsity basketball player. “There is obviously so much connection between us, so whenever we play each other the stakes feel so much higher.”

Hilton’s teammates share his sentiment. Because of the close proximity of the two schools, many students make the trip with the teams to help impact the game.

Senior Mason Larson said, “You can feel it in the air, whenever we play you can just feel how much we want to beat each other.”

SOMETHING IN THE AIR: Jackson guard Rowan Bruno drives to the hoop through the Star Valley defense in the first quarter in a 2021 basketball game. Star Valley won both games against Jackson that year. “You can feel the rivalry in the air,” said Mason Larson.

Growing up in Star Valley, the rivalry has always been important to me. As soon as I was old enough to understand sports, I understood the significance of Jackson vs Star Valley.

Since first playing in these games, I can attest how much Jackson cares about the rivalry. Playing in Jackson is totally different than playing in Powell, or Evanston. The hostility and noise from Jackson fans is a little intimidating. As a fan, I know what it is like in the stands during a home basketball game between these two. When it gets exciting, the fans get loud and the atmosphere is incredible.

Star Valley and Jackson is always one of the most exciting and exhilarating games of the year; whether it’s a football game or a girls soccer game ,the rivalry is always present. Even during years where one team has struggled, the matchups remain intense. These teams always bring their A-game when playing each other, and as long as that continues, so will the rivalry.