Girls Wrestling Likely for 2022-23 Season

CROSS FACE: Freshman Veil Foreman goes in for a cross face move on an Evanston Red Devil. Foreman won this match at the duel towards the end of the season helping the team with a few points. “Having the girls come and commit to wrestling all season was impressive, and we as coaches were impressed by their performance,” said Coach Clark.

Maddie Hale, staff writer

Years ago telling someone “they wrestled like a girl” may have been meant as an insult, but today, not so much. The rumor of girls officially wrestling at the high school has floated around for years, but that rumor is becoming a reality.

This season three girls wrestled for the Braves, freshmen Hallie Roberts and Veil Foreman, and sophomore Samantha Walker. They wrestled both boys and girls, and on two different occasions traveled to girls wrestling tournaments in Logan. Foreman actually won an unofficial state title at girls state the day after the Wyoming State Wrestling Tournament wrapped up.

“Today, at the college level, women’s wrestling is the fastest growing sport; they are adding new programs daily,” said Head Wrestling Coach Eddie Clark.

In the past, wrestling has never had a sister sport at the high school level like other sports, such has girls basketball and boys basketball or volleyball and football. Adding girls wrestling seems natural and necessary to give girls who want to wrestle a chance.

There have always been the occasional girl who wanted to wrestle on the boys team, and coaches put them into  as many tournaments as possible, but they often had to wrestle boys. Freshman wrestler Hallie Roberts said, “Even though it can be intimidating to wrestle boys, the support that comes from them is awesome, and they all became like brothers to me.”

This season some tournaments, like the RonThon had designated girls divisions, but girls wrestling has not yet been recognized as a sport by the Wyoming High School Activities Association. That will probably change next year.

Robert Galbreath from the Pinedale Roundup reports quotes WHSAA President Ron Laird as saying, “I think a majority of schools will support girls’ wrestling once this gets moving.”

Galbreath went on to report that Laird and “WHSAA’s goal is to have girls’ wrestling ‘in place’ by the next winter sports season if ‘this is what schools want,’ Laird said. He [Laird] envisioned the girls’ division competing at the same meets scheduled for boys over the first few seasons, with girls competing separately at the culminating state tournament.”

In a meeting earlier this month for potential girl wrestlers, 15 girls showed up to find out about wrestling for the Lady Braves next season where they can show that girls wrestling is a sport that’s time has come.