Special Olympians Compete with Smiles

CHEER: Elementary school students cheer on their classmate. Students from Etna, Thayne, Osmond, and Afton elementary schools were bussed to the golf course in Afton to watch and cheer on Special Olympics athletes. “I really loved seeing all of the support from the community and seeing the athletes enjoying it all,” said counselor Josh Frazier.

Mason Brown, staff writer

The snow glistened in the sunlight on the beautiful day of September 10th as Special Olympians raced towards the finish lines during an event they look forward to all year.

The Winter Special Olympics, hosted at Star Valley View Golf Course, drew crowds of cheering supporters who lined up along the event tracks with cups of free hot chocolate full of marshmallows and whipped cream provided by Engel & Volkers.

All the participants won numerous awards for their accomplishments in events such as cross country skiing, snowshoeing, relay races, and donut eating. Students from all of the elementary schools in the valley showed their support by cheering and holding up encouraging and supporting signs, making for an electric atmosphere.

Special Olympics give special athletes a chance to compete and have fun, while receiving support from classmates and the community. “I love Special Olympics because it helps our athletes feel accomplishment in their lives. They also get to have their peers cheer them on which is a great experience for both groups,” said special education teacher and Special Olympics Coordinator Bryan Nichols.