Indoor Track to Start After Holiday Break

THINCLADS: This picture, taken at Indoor Girls State Track last year, features returning runners Sarah McKen, Gentry Hendriks, and Valerie Jirak. The team placed placed sixth at the state event in 2021. ‘I love running and being able to do it with these girls,” said McKen.

Kamryn Thompson, Staff Writer

Indoor tracks season will start up after Christmas break. With the whole season ahead of them, older athletes will bring back their experience to help the younger athletes meet their goals.

“I am most excited for Simplot at ISU campus or state. I’m most excited for either my 200 or the spring medley because I think we can compete really well in that! I think that we are very well-off this year. I’m excited to see how we do this year,” said senior Gentry Hendricks.

Indoor track has to take place indoors, and the nearest places with indoor facilities are in states neighboring Wyoming. “I am most excited for the overnight big meets in Utah and Idaho. These are toughest because they have the most competition. I am excited for the mile and the 800. I think we will do pretty good this year. It’ll be a building year because we have a lot of new people coming in, but it’ll be a good experience,” said senior Johnny Hunting.

Coaches take advantage of their returning athletes and look forward to helping new team members improve.

“I’m excited for the indoor season. We have a lot of good kids and a lot of new athletes with freshman and sophomores. It’s hard to tell how we are going to do right now, but I think intra-squad competition will be good and help make kids faster,” said Coach Tyrel Clove.

Although Coach Draney and his distance runners will continue to train outside in the cold, it will be inside on the ovals where the competition heats up.