Volleyball Players Show Breast Cancer Awareness by Wearing Pink

CLEAN SWEEP: Seniors Whitnee Hale and Preston Buehler celebrate after the pink night win! When the Lady Braves played in Evanston their student Section was yelling “Baylie’s (Evanston’s libero) better.” Buehler made a poster for a home game to contrast the chants from Evanston’s student section.

Kamryn Jenkins, staff writer

In the month of October, volleyball players across the state pull out their pink uniforms to show support for Breast Cancer Awareness Month. In 2021 it is estimated that there will be 281,550 new cases of invasive breast cancer and 43,600 breast cancer deaths.

The Volleyball team played their pink night game on Tuesday, October 12 against the Evanston Red Devils. The Volleyball team always chooses someone to benefit from the silent auction and bake sale that takes place during the game. This year they chose the Conner Hincks’ family to benefit from the action. From the auction the Lady Braves raised just under $4,800 to benefit the family. Senior libero Whitnee Hale said, “We were really thankful that we could help Conner’s family.”

Before the first serve, two of the Lady Braves presented Conner’s parents with flowers, and Josh Frazier read a tribute to Conner informing people in the audience of Conner’s Metastatic Ewing Sarcoma he started fighting on September 2020. He fought a hard fight but lost his battle just a year later in September 2021.

The Lady Braves went up against a tough Evanston team they have a lot of history with. The Red Devils beat the Braves 4 times last season before the Lady Braves beat them one time at the state tournament. After the tough battle, the Lady Braves won on pink night, three sets to zero, 25-16, 25-19, 25-11.

ONE LAST TIME: Seniors Mckenna Frazier and Kamryn Jenkins smile for a picture post match. Frazier and Jenkins both loved the opportunity to show awareness for Breast Cancer over the past seasons. “Pink night was especially fun this year with it being the last year for the seniors,” said Frazier.