Students Express Feelings on Dress Code

BACK+IT+UP%3A+Lilly+Fisher+and+Joy+Fry+scan+the+horizon+for+possible+subject+to+photograph.+Some+students+like+them+have+express+frustration+over+the+current+dress+code+and+how+it+is+enforced.+

BACK IT UP: Lilly Fisher and Joy Fry scan the horizon for possible subject to photograph. Some students like them have express frustration over the current dress code and how it is enforced.

Priscilla Greenwell, staff writer

The dress code has been a source of controversy over the last few decades. With modern fashion evolving so quickly, it is no wonder students feel unhappy about the dress code. Policy makers and school board members, may be stuck in a more traditional, modest mindset and may find it difficult to find a middle ground for both them and students.

A typical high school dress code consists of no bare midriffs or shoulders, no hats, no profanity or promotion of drugs/alcohol, no visible undergarments, no skirts/shorts above the knee, etc. Although the dress code exists to help maintain a good learning environment, many students believe the dress code unfairly targets girls, specifically plus-sized girls.

“I believe the dress code is not enforced fairly. It’s directed towards girls, especially girls that are non-athletic, non-religious, and

bigger girls. I have been unfairly dress-coded. I was in photography with friends and got asked to change my shirt by Mr. Erickson. I had a crop top and high waisted jeans on, my stomach could only be seen because my arms were raised. I was showing a sliver while my friend down the hall was exposing half of her stomach. I wish there was a way to “train” teachers not to target girls and adjust the dress code to fit all body types,” said Lilly Fisher.

Some people may never run afoul of the dress coded due to their personal clothing style. However, in a modern day world of vivid fashion, people find it is one of the only ways they are able to express themselves which leaves them open to being targeted by the dress code. “The whole point of being in school at our ages is to learn who we are as people and to learn in an environment that makes us feel safe and comfortable. How are we supposed to express ourselves as individuals if there are no fair boundaries?” asked Joy Fry.

Finding something close to the middle ground may help students to feel happier or more compliant while also helping teachers and administration act more open-minded and stress less over enforcing the dress code. On one hand, students feel the dress code restricts their style. “The dress code is not up to date with modern fashion. It is very restricting to today’s fashion. Things like holey jeans, piercings, and abstract hairstyles are all in right now,” continued Fisher. On the other hand, some teachers feel that there is no real problem with the dress code, “I am fine with the dress code, other than hats. Every bald guy should be able to wear a hat if he wants to,” said Mr. Fullmer.

Even the people that manage to avoid dress code violations see a problem. “I’ve seen my friends get dress coded for the exact same things I was wearing. I’ve also seen girls get dress-coded for wearing tank tops and shorts, but apparently for the boys it’s okay,” continued Fry. These students believe that the dress code is enforced unfairly across size, gender, or popularity status.

Enforcing a dress code fairly across gender, size, or popularity status is an age-old problem, but students and administration choosing to work together to find a happy medium between all sides of the issue is the first step to take.