Is 40 Minute Lunch Long Enough?

CHOMPING DOWN: Chase Housley eats his food during 3rd hour because he didn’t have enough time during lunch. “I didn’t have enough time to eat during lunch, so I brought it to English to eat,” said Housley.

Kamryn Thompson, staff writer

This year’s release time for lunch has changed so much this school year. Instead of having the long lunch most students have enjoyed during past years, all students now attend home room and have 40 minutes to eat.

In the past, a student with good grades didn’t have to go to homeroom while those with academic trouble did. The 60-minute lunch for those with good grades motivated students to try harder in their classes.

The extra 30 minutes also made a huge difference because it gave students more time to eat at places that took longer for service. This year the only place to grab a quick enough bite is the grocery store, and students better eat fast before 3rd starts. “I would like to be able to go to Agave, Salt River Grill, or Stellas but there isn’t enough time to order and eat your food before we are needed back at school. I wish we had longer lunch back,” said sophomore Collin Rivard.

Administration, those behind the change, have their reasons. Principle Horsley said, ” Long lunch just wasn’t effective and nobody was using homeroom. Plus, we didn’t want to compete with teens and their lunch time.”

Of course, this change has frustrated a lot of students . “I do not like it because it’s not enough time, and I’m rushing the whole time. I normally go to the grocery store for lunch. It is usually pretty fast but not this year,” said junior Chase Stewart.

Upperclassmen who went to homeroom in past year and waited patiently to enjoy an hour lunch feel cheated. “I think it’s kind of ridiculous that it changed. It’s stupid that the whole school got punished because of what the younger students did. My first 3 years of high school I had to have short lunch, so I was looking forward to a long lunch my senior year,” said senior Kysen Hebdon.

School officials felt that students were skipping valuable homeroom time to take a longer lunch. Putting all in students in homeroom was one of the reasons behind the change. “The whole point of homeroom is for students to connect with teachers to get extra help and we hope kids will use it to catch up and really take a deep breath,” said Horsley.

Freshman Bryson Nield remembers when his older brother went to homeroom at the end of the day. “I feel like we should just change it back to home room after second. I want to experience long lunch in high school, so I hope it changes in the next coming years. I go to Hayden Morgan’s house for lunch, and his mom has to precook food, so when we get there, it’s ready because we don’t have enough time to cook it ourselves.”

Mr. Horsley understands student perspective, but thinks the new lunch time is a good compromise. “We know the students would much rather prefer a longer lunch, but when the calendar changed we had to shorten lunch so we were able to get out at the same time, 3:45, and go less Fridays.”

A good lunch is also important to athletes who don’t get home to eat until late. “Lunch is very important for us kids especially for the ones in sports because we don’t want to be hungry during practice,” said senior JD Morris said.

Horsley would like kids to give the new schedule a chance and give themselves time to get used to it. “It’s too early to tell right now if the new schedule is affective.”

In the mean time, student will still have to figure out how to eat in a shorter amount of time. “I used to be jealous about people that lived in Afton because they were able to go home for lunch but now they can’t even go home because lunch is so short,” said senior Gentry Hendricks.

Like it or not, students are having to plan for a shorter lunch time this year. Although many hope it will change back next year, the shorter lunch time may be here to stay.