Employment Affects Teens Differently

CHECKING OUT: Senior Daxon Gilbert checks a customer out at the front desk in Broulims. Balancing a schedule can be quite the task with a job and school. “It’s really hard, and I’m not that good at it, but I do all of my work,” said Gilbert.

Nicholas Jardine, Staff Writer

Teenagers have a variety of things to do outside of school. This includes extracurricular activities, sports, hobbies, and for some students, work.

High school is often referred to as a time of preparation for college and employment in the rest of the world. For most teenagers employment is seasonal, usually during the summer and not the winter. However, there are some who work through the school year, and this can have drastic effects on students. Sometimes this preparation is done out of school making it difficult for the few students who work during high school, and the even fewer who work during the actual school year.

A list of possible factors  go into whether a student will look for employment during the school year or not. This list includes wages, family life, GPA, extracurriculars, available jobs, and type of experience gained. “Having to work till ten on a school night doesn’t work for me. I also like to have weekends to reset,” said junior Spencer Saltzman. 

Some choose not to work for a variety of reasons. “Work and school are both at the same time, but school is a higher priority,” said senior Wesley Bateman. And Bateman is not the only person who holds this sentiment.

Some employed students point out that there is a noticeable affect on their schoolwork. “[Work] takes away time from school, and I don’t get enough time to finish my work,” said sophomore Brock Haderlie. It only makes sense for certain intellectuals to focus more on school than they do on work.

While many academically inclined kids put their employment on the back burner for the winter, those who choose to work will defend their decision. By far the single biggest factor in choosing to work is money for most students. “I choose to be employed because of money,” said Daxon Gilbert. 

Students have to weigh their options pretty heavily in most cases when it comes to high school employment. Holding a job for a bit of time can show future employers that a student is serious about work and that they have experience; however, it can also affect the grades the student gets in their classes. In the end, students have to find their own balance between school and work.