Students sound off on New MacBooks

BOOKED: MacBooks like this one are the standard operating device for students this school year and going forward.

Emma Brown , staff writer

The new school year brings exiting things One of those things is new technology for the students. This year students are learning to use new MacBooks where in the past several years they have worked on iPads. What do students think of their new computers?

TYPECAST: Hayden Morgan tries to type on his new MacBook with a dislocated pinkie. “We used a mix of chrome books and iPads [in middle school] so it wasn’t that hard to get used to. The only difference is using your Apple Pencil to write out math equations”, said Morgan.
DOWNER: Junior Jacob Hodges shows his displeasure with his new coputer. “I liked the iPads better because they were easier too turn in assessments on, and I don’t really know how to work the computers yet,” said Hodges.

YES: Junior Emree Erickson shows her support for more support teaching student about their new computers. “I think we should have a few homerooms where they teach us how to use the computers and turn in assignments,” said Erickson.

PROCESSING: Sophomore Josie Foster types on her new MacBook. Many students, including Foster, miss the touch screen of their old iPads. “It’s very difficult not being able to write stuff down instead of typing it, and it’s really hard to take notes in class,” said Foster.

Students are not the only ones having to adjust for the new technology this year. Teachers are having to change their lesson plans and old assignments to make them compatible with the MacBooks. “Learning to use a MacBook in the classroom is going to be the best thing ever for SVHS students! I have personally had 2 students go through SVHS using an iPad. Upon their graduation, each one purchased the iPad for college use; however after being in college for 2 months, each of my children wanted a personal MacBook because they found it more useful for college work,” said Mr. Patterson.

Only time will tell if the MacBooks hold up and students learn to like them and use them more effectively than the iPads.