Daniels Scholarship Recipients Named

EMILY: Senior Emily Strasburg smiles for her senior picture. She is one of the students that earned the Daniels Scholarship. “I made it into the finalists, and a couple weeks later I won!” said Strasburg

Mia Hutchinson, staff writer

Full-ride scholarship has a nice ring to it. Many students dream of hearing those words as they look for ways to pay for college, but for a few the Daniels Scholarship makes this a reality.

“The Daniels Scholarship Program provides the opportunity for highly motivated students to earn a bachelor’s degree that helps them build a successful career and rewarding life.” So it reads on the website for this generous and prestigious scholarship.There were three different students were recently named Daniels scholars, a comprehensive, four-year college scholarship that provides financial and personal support focused on helping Daniels Scholars succeed in college, and in life. This scholarship can be used at any accredited nonprofit college or university in the United States.

One of the students that earned this special scholarship was senior Emily Strasburg after completing the rigorous application and vetting process.“I had to write a ton of essays, and then I made it to the finalists and then I had an interview! A few weeks later is when I won it!” The essays that they had to write are correlated with the late cable television pioneer Bill Daniels and his beliefs.

Another Daniels recipient, Ben Smith said that the application process took several months, beginning in November when they submitted their applications. “We received word of the semi-finalists in January. We then had another round of eliminations and finally made it to the finalist stage of around 450 our of the original thirty-five hundred applicants.” Smith’s efforts earned him $25,000 to any nonprofit institution within the United States. “My plan is to attend Centre College in Danville Kentucky where I have also been accepted as a Bonner Leader and a member of their Study Abroad Program,” said Smith.

Another Daniels winer, senior Marley Carey, went the same process as Strasburg and Smith. Carey said they weren’t given a date for when they would know their results, so that made the process even more stressful. “My interview was on the same day as my birthday, and it went pretty well. I thought it was pretty easy,” said Carey. She plans on continuing her studies at Sheridan College pursuing a degree in dental hygiene.

Eligibility requirements for the Daniels Scholarship requires

• Be a high school senior graduating from a school in Colorado, New Mexico, Utah, or Wyoming
  • Earn a minimum Grade Point Average of 3.0 in high school
  • Earn a minimum SAT math score of 490 and a minimum Evidence-Based Reading and Writing score of 490, or a minimum ACT score of 18 in each category.

If the cost of college seem worrisome,  start thinking about it applying for the Daniels. It is a long process and takes lot of hard work, but the payoff is worth it. Just ask Strasburg, Smith, and Carey.