Newsies Wraps Successful Run

THE+WORLD+WILL+KNOW%21+After+last+year%27s+musical+The+Little+Mermaid+was+cancelled+with+the+COVID-19+outbreak%2C+many+of+that+cast+were+grateful+to+return+this+year+and+perform+Newsies+for+live+audiences.+

THE WORLD WILL KNOW! After last year’s musical The Little Mermaid was cancelled with the COVID-19 outbreak, many of that cast were grateful to return this year and perform Newsies for live audiences.

Whitnee Hale and Irrissa Guyett

This year the school put on the Newsies for the spring musical. With the recent pandemic, it was uncertain if the production would ever reach the stage. Luckily, the cast performed Newsies several times to huge success!

Students were excited to show off all of their hard work. after practicing every day since January. There were 52 kids in the musical that took place from March 18th through the 20th.

The shows were a bit unconventional as the number of people that attended fluctuated greatly after a few days. “There were 2,000-3,000 in total [the first few days],” said senior Ben Smith.

“For the first few, the school had set a limit on how many people we could have. It was only at 50% capacity. Then, near to the end, they lifted the restrictions and said we could have a full audience. [The number of people] changed because of that,” said Abbey Delgado.

Although a large number of people made ups the cast, the main characters got the most time under the spotlight. Ben Smith played Racetrack Higgins and Paysen Robinson played the lead role of Jack Kelly. They each had their favorite parts when playing their character. Ben Smith loved his trusty cigar. He felt that the all important cigar “was the only personality trait I had.” He could be seen walking around with it on the stage and offstage. Paysen Robinson agreed that the personality of his character was an extremely important detail that he enjoyed.

Most actors have a warm up routine that they use before a show. It helps calm their nerves and keep a positive attitude. “Messing up in front of seven hundred people” was Smith’s primary fear. To prevent this disaster, the students had an interesting pre-performance ritual. “We all sat in a room and shared stories and took a moment of silence,” said Smith.

The director, Lynzi McAdams, was proud of the amazing show that all the kids’ hard work produced. “The best thing about performing the show was seeing their dedication! They made each performance their best, and put so much heart and soul into it. I especially enjoyed watching these kids become the best of friends. By the end of the show, you could tell they all truly cared about each other, which came out on stage during their performances,” said McAdams.

The cast members put in the effort to make the play a success and make friends along the way. There were also some pretty funny highlights throughout the show as well. Pulitzer, played by Scott Shumway, improvised a joke about the pandemic going on after Robinson’s Kelly spit into his hand to make a deal. “It was hilarious, and everyone in the audience broke out laughing,” said McAdams.

McAdam’s cast even managed to make her laugh later in the play as well. “Everyday during rehearsals, I would walk in and say ‘yippee!’ Every time I would say that, the students would respond back with the same word. During the final performance, one of the students decided to yell yippee’ on stage, and I broke out laughing! These kids are the best.”

Overall, the play was a great showcase of student talent. Everyone had a blast and many people cannot wait for next year’s show.