Track and Field Welcomes Many Underclassmen

OLD SCHOOL: Paintings found on vases taken from excavations show that the art of pole vaulting was known to the Greeks. “I do pole vault, sprints, and jumps. Pole vault is really hard,” said Eli Rammell. Pole vaulting is the most complicated and technical of all track and field events.

Irrissa Guyett, staff writer

Track and field tryouts took place recently with posters around the school encouraging students to try something new. Due to COVID-19, the school was unable to have a season last spring; therefore, this is an exciting opportunity for students interested in competing in this ancient sport.

All are welcome on the team. “We won’t be cutting anyone from the team. Everyone that wants to come be a part of something awesome is welcome. That being said, we will be doing some “testing” that will help us get kids in the events where they and then the team can be most successful,” said Coach Draney.

During initial practices, coaches will try to figure out where students have the best chance of excelling in competition. The number of kids that will show up is uncertain, but Coach Draney is just excited to have the chance to compete. “We are excited and grateful we can get together and compete this year,” he said.

Each athlete has their own highlights in track and field. “[I like] just being with the all the friends and being able to socialize,” said Eli Rammell. Being part of a team is a rewarding feeling that is associated with team sports like track and field.

However, other students enjoy the journey to the competition more. “I think the road trips. [It’s] a bunch of fun talking to people,” said Valerie Jirak. The long bus trips provide a great opportunity to connect with others on the team. Many students just enjoy the competition itself and strive to improve. “I enjoy competing and doing my best at track meets,” said Emily Gertsch. On many enjoyable days, students love seeing all of their hard work pay off.

While students compete around the state, many students find themselves looking forward to some competitions more than others. Home competitions maintain a sense of comfort as students are already familiar with the track. “I like the home competition the most. It’s always cold, but not having to drive anywhere is nice. I can just be in my zone feeling comfortable,” said Gabe Clinger.

Some students appreciate a  larger meet. “We go to the BYU track in Provo. It’s a really big meet and that’s usually my favorite. It’s on a college campus [as well],” said Jacie Angell.

Other students enjoy even larger competitions with a bit more challenging weather conditions. “My sophomore year, I went down to Idaho Falls and that was the Tiger Griz. It was everybody competing against all the Idaho schools. It was their regionals, so we had the chance to go down and compete. That was my favorite spot to compete because there were forty mile an hour winds that day. I also PRed[got my personal best] that day,” said Gertsch.

Tryouts this year were a huge success with many freshman and sophomores showing potential. “There’s a lot of freshman. A lot of good newcomers which is awesome. The more, the better!” said Gertsch. Many students showed an aptitude for certain events. “I think some of them are really fast, and it’s gonna be fun to see how they do,” said Clinger.

Seasoned competitors are excited to see how the newcomers will do. They are grateful to have the chance to compete again and watch the new students compete this season. Track and field is already off to an amazing start. Now if the snow will just start melting.