Homeroom Cancellation Possible if Proper Use Does Not Improve

HOME BODIES: Freshmen Allie Jack and Stacey Perez work diligently in home. Their homeroom teacher, Mr. Fullmer, said, “Stacey and Allie work almost everyday in homeroom. They are model students.”

Homeroom and lunch are the only times throughout the school day when students are not in a class. However, this may decrease to only lunch if students continue to skip homeroom. On Feb. 22-23 the administration gave students a small taste of what the school day would look like with no homeroom. Homeroom was cancelled and each class was lengthened to encourage students to consistently check in with their homeroom teacher, something many fail to do each day.

The administration hoped the modified schedule wold help students realize that homeroom is an opportunity to get work done and get help from teachers. Currently homeroom actually counts as instructional time. “We have a really cool homeroom program put in place for them to qualify to get out of homeroom, but we need them to attend under those parameters. [Homeroom] counts as our instructional time, and if students don’t attend, we just can’t have it at all because we don’t meet the minimum number of instructional hours for the state,” said Mr. Horsley.

Many students actually use homeroom as it was intended and are concerned that it may not be around next year. “Sometimes I use it to finish assignments or hangout with my friends,” said Addie Jenkins.

Getting rid of homeroom would affect the kids who use homeroom along with those who do not. “[Not having homeroom this week] was frustrating, especially to all the seniors, because we’ve been waiting for years for this. If we end up not having homeroom, it will suck,” said senior Ellie Crook.

The problem of kids not following homeroom protocols has been going on for a lot longer than many students realize. “It’s been an issue that dates back into last year. It’s been a couple years in the making,” said Horsley. If students continue skipping, the administration is seriously considering rolling that time back into regular class time. “If we had to, we would just finish the year with this schedule,” Horsely added. That would mean no homeroom.

However, some students have other ideas instead of getting rid of homeroom. Fifth hour used to be a period at the end of the day similar to homeroom that students cold take advantage of. “[Fifth hour] was nice because everyone just did homework,” said Jenkins. Bringing back 5th hour might allow students to catch up on work towards the end of the day instead.

Many students have different homeroom teachers and second-period teachers allowing them to slip away undetected after second hour. “We should have our second hour teacher be our homeroom teachers. That way kids wouldn’t have the chance to leave without checking their grades,” suggested Crook.

Students need to consistently check in with their homeroom teach in order to keep homeroom. If not, students who use homeroom will lose this valuable time to catch up and do homework each day. Hopefully, the temporary absence of homeroom helped students realize that homeroom is a good thing.