Facts About ACT Revealed

Back to Article
Back to Article

Facts About ACT Revealed

MOORE MATH: Students brush up on their math essentials that will help them on the ACT. Programs like CrackACT are especially helpful for those wishing to improve their score.

Otessa Olsen

Otessa Olsen

Otessa Olsen

Otessa Olsen, staff writer

PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT: Students in Mrs. Clinger’s ACT prep class practice for the ACT. “Just learning how to understand the wordage of the ACT will help you improve your score,” said Clinger.

You jerk back to reality. You have been staring at the same question for the last 5 minutes. With a start you read through the question for the fifth time. You have been sitting in the same chair for the last 3 hours and your brain has turned to mush. But you have been told that getting a good score is essential, so you keep plugging away at the endless list of questions and hope your ACT score isn’t as bad as you think it will be.

The state of Wyoming requires all juniors to take the ACT. It is supposed to be a measure of how well schools are preparing kids for their future plans as well as how those said kids will perform at the next level. According to the ACT, students who get the following scores on the ACT have a 50% chance of getting a B in that class in college: an 18 in english, a 22 in reading, a 22 in math, and a 23 in science. However, there is some controversy about the effectiveness of the ACT as a standard.

COLLEGE READY: The ACT claims that scores help determine college readiness, but high school counselors are unsure if it scores are the best metric of measurement.

“I don’t think that there is a ton of value in the ACT,” said counselor Mr. Hale. “The ACT is important for getting scholarships, but it isn’t a very accurate representation of what students have learned in high school.” Maybe it isn’t a very good measure of future academic success, but it will help you pay for college provided you score highly enough. That is motivation enough for many students.

“I knew that it was important for me to do well on the ACT so that I would have as many scholarship opportunities as possible when it came time to apply for colleges,” said senior Emma Dubisz.

What is a good goal to shoot for when looking at scholarships? Well, the average ACT score for the graduating class of 2019 in Wyoming was a 19.8, the average ACT score from SVHS was a 21, and  the required ACT score to get the midlevel Hathaway scholarship is a 21 while the Honors Hathaway Scholarship requires a 25.

Taking the ACT is tough, though. It is long and has questions on a wide variety of subjects. Some of the kids who have already taken the ACT a couple of times have some advice about what to do and what not to do when preparing for it.

“I took ACT prep. I didn’t think it was very beneficial, but I don’t think I took advantage of my time like I could have,” said Dubisz. “I did take time to have a really good breakfast the morning I took it, and I think that helped a ton.”

“The time that I got my best score,I drank three monsters right before I came to the school,” said Trent Clark.

“I took ACT prep and it helped me improve my score four points,” said Ember Lopez.

“I didn’t do like anything to prepare for the ACT, and I really regret that. I am going to take it again before I graduate because I know I can do better,” said Vienna Sotelo.

There are lots of resources available if you want to improve your score and bring in more scholarships, but they all take time and effort. For example, the ACT Prep class won’t help you very much if you don’t ever do the worksheets, but if you choose to work hard in it, history has shown you can improve your score. In the end, a few points difference can equal thousands of dollars in scholarship money. As torturous as the ACT is, it is a big part of your college preparation process.