State Send Offs Past, Present, Future in Question

Back to Article
Back to Article

STEADY AS HE GOES: Senior Bryson Jenkins navigates the obstacle course to win the seniors a long lunch during the cross country state send off.

STEADY AS HE GOES: Senior Bryson Jenkins navigates the obstacle course to win the seniors a long lunch during the cross country state send off. "It's really hard to get into sometimes, and I don't know if I like everyone looking at me haha," said Jenkins about the race.

Kate Linford, staff writer

SALUTE: The cheerleaders wave to the students in an effort to pump them up with school spirit.

State send offs seem to be an integral part of the high school experience. But how much do people actually enjoy them?

A student who would like to remain anonymous said, “I would rather ditch a State Send Off assembly than any other assembly in the entire world.” Some of his peers agreed whole heartedly. However, students like senior Emma Graham said, “The send offs are super cool because I think it brings awareness to activities that kids don’t know as much about. I think that it also helps the kids going to state feel the support of our school and maybe find it easier to kick some butt.”

Most people would agree that state send offs are most likely sticking around. The real question is what can we do to make them more interesting to everyone? SBO officer Tavon Southam said, “The problem we run into is that kids get bored really easy. Everyone likes to be out of class longer, but no one wants to watch 26 kids run though the same obstacle course 3 times.”

Emri Jenkins said that she really likes the games that we play at assemblies. “I like the races, but I’d love to see more videos and more of the state participants doing things,” said Jenkins. Taytum Dyer agreed and thought it would be cool if “the races were done by kids who were in whatever state event.” This would make it possibly for people to recognize the kids actually going to state instead of just watching random members of the student body.

The Star Valley alumni and office staff had a few interesting things to say about state sendoffs. According to Heather Warren, “I don’t even remember state send offs, honestly.” Gina Fullmer agreed with her. So this brings the question, are state send offs important?

On the other hand, Valerie Booth said that she loved state send offs back in her day. “They weren’t called state send offs back then; they were just pep rallies,” said Booth. She described how everyone in the whole school would come out and yell. The cheerleaders would yell, the athletes would yell, everyone was yelling. “I think the issue with the drier send offs today is that people just don’t have as much school spirit,” said Booth.

There seems to be some controversy on this topic, so if you have any ideas for send offs, or just more things you’d like to see, comment below or talk to a member of the student body. Either way, state send offs are not something we can just get rid of. They are a part of school history and the school’s future. The grind for championship titles will never stop and support for school activities won’t stop either. It just remains to be seen what form it will take.

TOGETHER WE STAND: The students cheer on the competitors as they race for prizes during a state send off contest.