Decomposers Rise to Superior Rating

Back to Article
Back to Article

Decomposers Rise to Superior Rating

REWARDS: Senior Laycee Cazier accepts the Superior trophy on behalf of the marching band.

Jayden Nield

For some people their thing is volleyball or basketball, for others it is band. For many, band is what they love about high school the most, the long hours of practice, trying to get the notes just right, and friends becoming family. For students who are part of band, that’s just what it is.

This year the band spent endless hours putting in practice to perfect their state routine, and it paid off for them in superior ratings. “It is always fun to see the tremendous progress we make from our band camp to state marching band weekend,” said band instructor and teacher Mr. Kurt Sand. He continued, “We go from just learning how to stand at attention and move on the field to performing music, choreography and marching at state. It takes a lot of time and repetition to get it perfected.”

LITTLE DRUMMER BOYS: David Walker and Preston Howes perform for the student body before they load the bus and head to Casper for state marching band. The band would go on to earn top honors in Casper. “State marching band was a good time.  I’ve enjoyed being a part of it,” said Howes.

State band took place in Casper where the marching band earned the judges’ highest rating of superior and a standing ovation from the spectators. They were also awarded the “Caption Award” by the marching band judges. To earn this award, both judges awarded the Braves a 90% or better.

Many do not appreciate the challenges of succeeding in marching band. Those who can’t walk while chewing gum likely won’t find a place in marching band. “It is the challenge that makes marching band fun,” said Sand. He went on to discuss the complexities of marching band.

“It really is one of those activities that until you do it, you cannot really appreciate it. Students really discover that the smallest details can make all the difference. Our sense of fun is working really hard on a show and then performing it in a way that folks never expected. It is really fun to do it right and be impressive. That makes all the hours of hard work worth it,” said Sand.

WAITING TO PERFORM: The band holds position, waiting for all the student body to shuffle in and watch their state marching band performance. The performance, called “Decomposers” featured a classical take on zombies. “You know it was actually pretty cool. They did a lot of things I never thought I would see from the band,” said spectator senior Dave Castillo.

Marching band provides unique opportunities for individuals to accept leadership and impact their performance in a positive way. “The actual performance at state is led on the field by student directors (drum majors). I am in the stands just watching like everyone else. It is student-led and, of course, student-performed. I just help in the preparation. They must execute the performance of everything we have rehearsed, practiced and discussed for 2 months” said Sand.

“I love being a part of the twinned and calling the band to attention. The energy and love you can feel is the coolest thing,” said senior Laycee Cazier.

For many of those who have been a part of band, it really does mean a lot to them. The people they spend hours with practicing really do become almost like family and that is the beauty of high school activities. “I first started band in 5th grade. I have so many memories from the past years. What sticks out the most for me tho is every time before we go out to perform we all sit and hold hands and don’t talk. I love the band and its been the best experience of my high school career,” said Cazier.

The band performed flawlessly and moved as one as they executed their performance, continuing to add to the rich history of Brave Marching Band excellence.