All-State Music Auditions Cause Stress

Back to Article
Back to Article

All-State Music Auditions Cause Stress

TRY OUTS: Students in all the music classes recently faced the stressful task of auditioning for an all-state position.

Lanny Johnson, staff writer

Many students may not realize the significance of October 25. Besides being “National I Care About You” day, it also marked the two week warning for All-State orchestra auditions that took place on November 8th and also the choir and band all state auditions on November 1st-11th. You could hear nerve ends frying from across the hall from the kids trying out.

For those who don’t know, all state is basically the holy grail of the musical classes. It is an awesome experience that many kids strive for. Those who have made it once strive even harder to make it next time. The best singers, orchestral players, and band musicians group together and work on music to preform. At the end of three days, a big concert is held for each group to preform their numbers that so many students worked on so hard to learn and achieve.

The music is definitely not easy, and they don’t just take anyone, hence the stress. The difficulty of the audition means that in order to get in, you have to preform well.

“Terrible, not much more to add,” said sophomore Eve Mavy, who plays the violin and made it last year. Last year, she was one of 13 orchestra kids who made the cut. With how much of a party it was, she hopes to make it again.

“I’m excited to audition for all-state. I hope I make it. I’m not too nervous about it though,” said junior Betony Sellers. Sellers is in Treble Tones and has to compete for a spot within soprano 1.

“I’m feeling alright. I’ve never really been nervous, until the moment , but yeah, feeling alright” junior Scott Shumway replied cooly. Shumway is a member of Concert Chorale and is competing for a spot within the basses at all state.

Practice Makes Perfect: Orchestra students practice with Mrs. Barber as she gives them tips on how to improve their auditions.  photo Lanny Johnson

“I’ll probably get nervous. I haven’t made it yet, so no pressure there,” said junior Josh Strgar said. Strgar is a member of the marching band, pep band, and jazz band. He plays bass trombone and hopes for a spot within the all-state band. 

So if you know someone who tried out for all-state, give them props and sympathy. These high-achieving students will thank you for your support.