Fun, Energetic Students Wanted for Team Sports

Back to Article
Back to Article

BALLIN: Senior Kolbe Brown defends star basketball player James Erickson as he hits the three during a scrimmage in team sports.

Tony Reyes

Tony Reyes

Tony Reyes

Tony Reyes, staff writer

There are many elective classes to take in the great high school of Star Valley, everything ranging from classes for the brain such as Robotics taught by Tyson Balls to classes for the brawn such as weights taught by Ernie Clark. However, one class that stands out to a lot of students is team sports taught by Mrs. Filibi.

According to counselor Mr. Ben Hale, team sports was created in 2007 when the Physical Education Board came to the school and suggested an idea for another exercise program. They wanted to get kids more involved in sports. and this class seemed like a great way to do it. When the class was offered, enough kids signed up to make it stick. It was originally taught by former football coach and P.E. teacher Mr. Dale Anderson.

Filibi likes to describe her class as an “advanced P.E. class.” In team sports students play a lot of team sports, as many would have guessed, anything ranging from indoor Brodie Ball to outdoor rugby. Filibi loves to take her class outside and let them have at it when the weather permits.“I like when we play Brodie-Ball because I used to play basketball in France, just not with a football. haha,” said foreign exchange student Araceli Miguel.

Many students enjoy playing in this class and take it for the extra exercise and fun sort of a break period it provides. Filibi makes the kids take a fitness test once a semester to make sure that they’re not just slacking off.

“I like the range of activities and getting a range of exercise,” said Devin Thompson. Coach Filibi prefers kids who love to exercise and have a good time, but team sports is not just a free period and an easy A. Students are graded on work ethic and effort. “A big misconception is that people think you can just stand and watch other kids play,” said Filibi. She went on to say that when the class is fun and high energy her students are getting the most out of the class.

It’s not Calculus and it’s not even weights. Team sports gives students a chance to work together for exercise and fun.