SVHS 13th Largest High School in WY

Back to Article
Back to Article

SVHS 13th Largest High School in WY

BIG FISH: SVHS is the largest school in 3A classification.

Nate Matthews, staff writer

It is no secret that Star Valley, Wyoming is a small community on the west side of the state with an average-sized school.

Of course, size is relative, and relatively speaking, in Wyoming Star Valley’s not that small. How does SVHS stack up against the rest of the schools in Wyoming when it comes to size?

The numbers for the next school reclassification cycle of 2020-21 and 2021-22 as revealed by the WHSAA show that there has been some movement in each of the classes. The activities association takes the ADM numbers each district sends into the State Department of Education in June and averages them to place each school in their classification.

Star Valley High is the 13th largest school in Wyoming, with 816 students, right behind Evanston (846) and right in front of Green River (764). Not bad but not even close to the largest school in the state, Kelly Walsh, which is currently up to 1996 students.

When it comes to sports and activities, Star Valley competes 4A in volleyball, basketball, track, and soccer but 3A in golf, journalism, art, speech, music, x-country, and wrestling. In the past, SVHS has been bumped up to 4A in all sports and activities, and due to our growing student population, that possibility still exists in the near future.

“I like the size of our school,” said junior Tony Mickelson. ” It’s not too big but not too small.”