HOCO Parade Departure from Traditional Schedule

Back to Article
Back to Article

SBO: The Senior SBOs put together a float to add some spice to the parade! SBO Pres. Kamryn Johnson said,

SBO: The Senior SBOs put together a float to add some spice to the parade! SBO Pres. Kamryn Johnson said, "It was a pain, but I think it turned out ok."

Brant Nelson, staff writer

The astute observer may have noticed some changes in the week of homecoming with more emphasis on tradition in order to try and help fit the school needs and the needs of families and kids.

The annual homecoming parade has normally run on the Friday morning before the kickoff of the big homecoming game; however, this year it took place the day before the game at six o’clock before the powderpuff.

Many different things that played a role in this decision. Parents that have day jobs have never been able to come and participate and bring their kids to ever watch the parade or to come and see their own high school kids in the play. Changing the time of the parade to the evening helped many more people to come and participate in the parade. Administrators also reported that having the parade at night instead of during the school helps solve problems of liability for students who take off and don’t attend homecoming activities.

Another reason behind parade change in time came from the fact of the whole parade leads up to big football game but no players have ever been able to attend the parade when it’s about them!

WE ARE THE PARTY: Star Valley Braves Football players attend the parade after many years of not being able to come.

“I really liked it on the day of the game. I was able to show up at school go to a few classes, then me and a few friends would go to the parade and come back to the school to watch the game. This year with it being changed and later at night, I didn’t even attend the parade. I went home and by that time it was a bigger pain to go all the way back into town than just stay at home,” said junior Haze Child.

“I didn’t go this year but I went the previous years on a game day,”  said Zach Johnson.

“ I liked the parade so much better on the day of the game. It helped everyone be in school spirit and so many more kids went,” said senior Elsie England.

Although many students felt the traditional game-day parade generated more school spirit than the new night parade, the evening event was well-attended and supported by school groups and community members alike.

YETI: Rocky Mountain Yeti supplied many of the beautiful vehicles that pulled floats and escorted the royalty during the parade.

Teacher Mr. pebbles said “that the parade at night really brought more people together.  We have had many issues with school policies and kids leaving in the past and not knowing where they are and what’s happening to them. Now school is out and the staff isn’t in charge of them, making it safer for the kids and the school.”

Students may not have liked it, but the staff said it made the parade a safer and helped create a more fun environment!