Changes in Staff Assignments, Physical Plant Greet Students

Back to Article
Back to Article

MEN AT WORK:  Work continues on the automotive shop at the east end of the school. Construction began a few weeks before school started. Delays in material orders put the opening of the shop behind but now workers are quickly getting it ready for use.  

Emma Thomson and Brierly Battleson

HITTING THE BOOKS: These mechanics students listen to Mr. Barnes explain the complexities of working on a car before they get in to the shop and start turning wrenches.

CHILLIN’: Cody Gustafson, Willington Vicente Garcia, and Jackie Simmons stand on the new bricks where the bark and trees used to be in the planter areas by the auditorium entrance.

A new school year starting means new news, new staff  members, new ideas.

New Principal Horsley has presided over several changes already this school year. Over the summer workers put cement in the triangles that use to have bark and a trees in them making them more useful for students to sit on during lunch and giving them a chill out area. Recently, Mrs. Booth explained the triangles will eventually serve as trophy cases.

They were originally going to install the trophy cases in the triangles this summer for the new school year but did not have the funds. As funds become available the cases will be installed sometime in 2020.

SPACED OUT: This interior of the new mechanical shop addition is nearing completion. With the addition of over 7,000 square feet, student will have room to work extensively on automobiles.

Another big, noticeable addition to our school is the automotive shop. The Automotive shop will add another 7,458 square feet of mechanical work space. The shop is all about working with motors, “all the way from the head lights to the tale pipe” said mechanics teacher Mr. Daniel Barnes. Ninety students have already signed up for  Mechanics I and Mechanics II and also the class next semester called”Brakes.”

“I’m excited for it to be done and for the kids to enjoy it,” said Barnes.

In a new shifts for classes this year, existing teachers Nikki Burch and Patience Jenkins are teaching all the freshman P.E. classes. Another little change comes with Brandy Taylor teaching a new class called “Tech Fun” for all the students interested in technology and having fun. Another instruction shift has Julie Erickson now teaching Pre-Algebra, something she hasn’t done in many  years.