Seniors Enjoying New Lunch Schedule

Back to Article
Back to Article

Seniors Enjoying New Lunch Schedule

LUNCH TIME FUN TIME: Branden McDonald, RJ Cazier, Taylor Horsley, and Hazen Erickson enjoy their lunchtime while their underclassmates sit in homeroom.

Branden McDonald, staff writer

In years past seniors took an hour lunch while freshman through juniors hurried through 40 minutes. This year things changed.

On Mondays all students get a 30 minute lunch after attending a 30 minute homeroom remediation class. After Monday, seniors get an hour for the rest of the week and everyone else continues to attend homeroom. Juniors finish with home room on Wednesday, sophomores on Thursday, and freshmen finally get an hour lunch in the event of a school day on Friday. All hour lunches depend on grades C and above. Students who fall below that threshold spend half their hour lunch in remediation regardless of their age or class standing.

Some students, especially seniors, like the new lunch schedule. “I really like the new lunch because we get an hour lunch almost all week, but Monday’s suck,”  said senior Hazen Erickson.

Juniors and sophomores have a different opinion. Sophomore Kysen Hebdon said,” I hate the new schedule because you have no time to go anywhere when you only have 30 minutes because the whole continental army decides to go to the grocery store, so I would recommend to not go there.”

“The hour long lunch is perfect to get food and then make it to class on time. When we have 30 minutes, I feel like I’m in a rush and never make it back on time,” said junior Addie Butler.

What do students in homeroom instead of lunch do? “We work on homework, and it helps a lot with me getting caught up in classes. The work time is good, but the lunch could be a bit longer,” said Freshman Luke Linford.

What do seniors accomplish on the day they have to go? “I get most of my homework done, so it takes the load off when I get home and don’t have to do as much,” said senior Parker “Gibralter” Merritt.

What do teachers think? “I think it’s great for kids. The way we are doing it now it gives us an opportunity to get kids together and work on what they need to be working on,” said Coach Clark

The new schedule is in place, but is it working? It seems to be. Students who skip earn a detention giving them an incentive to attend homeroom and get their grades up so they have a long lunch.

This new lunch schedule replaced the old guided reading lunch model. “A lot of students treated guided reading as an optional class, and 5th period was originally meant for remediation, but by the end of the day kids were spent and did not really want to do anything. So what we came up with was to change it to before lunch so kids could get stuff done and then when they got it done they can have a long lunch,” said Principal Horsley.

Maybe only seniors really approve of the new lunch schedule, but like it or not, most students agree it is an improvement on guided reading.