Golfers Wrap up Season at Home

JUST+CHIPPER%3A+Senior+Riley+Heward+chips+her+ball+up+to+the+green+during+the+state+tournament.+The+girls+team+finished+4th+at+the+event.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Golfers Wrap up Season at Home

JUST CHIPPER: Senior Riley Heward chips her ball up to the green during the state tournament. The girls team finished 4th at the event.

Jayden Nield, staff writer

The longest recorded drive for golf is 515 yards, roughly 5 football fields. The average or new golfer could not even dream of coming anywhere close to that, but the golfers for the Braves might come close. The golfers recently wrapped up a successful, and short, season that ended in Afton.

The golf team competed at the state tournament hosted this year at our very own golf course Star Valley View during harsh weather conditions. “It was cold outside but I had enough clothes on to keep me warm,” said junior all-conference and all-state golfer Karsen Spaulding. Others did not feel the same way. “State was so cold. I literally thought I gave myself arthritis because my joints were so frozen,” said senior Riley Jo Heward.

A few of the students on the golf team have golfed since they were very young. “I have been golfing since I was 2 years old, but I started golfing competitively in 7th grade,” said Spaulding. Some of the other golfers on the team just started to play. “I just started golfing in June! I would definitely encourage others to try it out. At first I was hesitant about it and honestly thought it was kinda nerdy… you get the opportunity to see so many beautiful places though instead of a sweaty gym so I think it is a good sport to at least try out,” said freshmen Norah Nelson.

FOURRR: Senior Tyler Hodges launches the ball into next week with an opening drive. “The best score I’ve ever gotten was a 76,” said Hodges.

PE teacher Mrs. Filibi teaches golf in her fitness for life class because it is an activity that can be done throughout life. “I would encourage others to play golf because it is a sport you can play the rest of your life no matter how old you are,” said Heward.

Golfer rarely get hurt while participating but random accidents do occur. “One time I reversed the golf cart too fast and my hand slipped off the wheel and my momentum threw me out of the golf cart and it knocked the breath out of me,” said senior Tyler Hodges. “The best bruise I’ve ever received was from a golf club. An opponent threw her golf club and it hit me,” said Heward.

THE OLD MAN IS SNORING: As it pours down rain, Riley Jo Heward puts her way to par. “The best I’ve ever scored was a 97,” said Heward.

Every sport has a catch phrases or something funny commonly associated with it. Just the same, golf has its catch phrases as well. “Why do I even play this sport?!” said senior Jake Johnson. Another saying is “Hole 8, don’t even try,” said Hodges. And the most commonly heard, “Does that count?” said Nelson.

The best part of high school sports are the amazing memories made with friends and all the traveling athletes get to do. “I love the overnight trips; they’re always a blast. Also one time I golfed half a tournament with only one shoe on. That was pretty memorable!” said Nelson. “My favorite memory would have to be when I was a junior and caught Coach Fulmer going through our lunch boxes, trying to find the treats I had brought for everyone,” said Heward.

The boys finished 3rd at the state tournament while the girls finished 4th. Seniors Jake Johnson, Preston Kilroy, and junior Karson Spaulding all finished in the top 10, earning them all-state recognition. Johnson also made the all-state team his junior year. “We did as well as possibly could have this season. Our boys beat 11 teams and finished behind two teams I figured we probably couldn’t beat. The girls finished 4th out of 14 teams, and we didn’t even think we would have a girls team this year, ” said Coach Fullmer.

The golfers will start up again in the spring and try to do ever better at the state tournament in Lander next year.

IRONING: Freshmen Norah Nelson takes an iron off #10 tee at the state tournament at Star Valley View Golf Course in Afton. “The best score I’ve had is a 113,” said Nelson.

TEEING OFF: Senior Preston Kilroy sends the ball off hole #1 at the state tournament. Kilroy finished with all-state honors.