Horsley Institutes New Idealology to Simplify Complexities of High School

THE+CHIEF%3A+Principal+Horsley+welcomes+students+on+the+first+day+of+school+August+29%2C+2019.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

THE CHIEF: Principal Horsley welcomes students on the first day of school August 29, 2019.

Peter Visser, staff writer

SVHS principal and newcomer Jason Horsley has already built a reputation as an advocate for the average student. With new schedule changes aimed to give students more freedom and a new time for remediation, it is clear that high school is becoming more and more student friendly.

Despite  two large changes, one of the most profound is Principal Horsley’s simple but encompassing ideology: Be where you are supposed to be and do what you are supposed to be doing. “It’s something that I have always implemented in my life,” said Horsley. “Whenever I found kids where they were supposed to be doing what they are supposed to be doing, those were the kids that had freedoms.” It seems as though high school students are in a constant battle between making good lifedecisions and having a good time, but as explained by Horsley, the students making good decisions are the students that have the ability and the freedom to have a good time. 

“I think it is a great rule that could make us all become better students. I could definitely do better at it though,” said senior, commenting on Horsley’s ideology. We often see high schoolers become stressed and beaten down by what appears to be an endless line of “do this” and “do that, but if you do that incorrectly you fail.” Students are plagued with restless nights, not just worrying about the social pressures of high school, but also the do’s and do not’s that fill our class rooms and hallways.

While the majority of the school’s mandatory rules remain in place from previous years, this encompassing ideology simplifies what otherwise can become an overwhelming process. “I hope kids challenge everything, articulate what they want,” said Horsley. He established the process behind his idea. It is no secret that many adolescents require freedom and are full of their own opinions. Being able to establish and formulate their own boundaries and guidelines may be just what a high school full of rebellious young adults could use to bring peace a hectic daily life. “It basically sums up what we have to do; it is not too strict, it’s a nice guideline for high schoolers,” said junior Emily Strasburg.

With an increasing difficulty, high school students face the daunting task of balancing stress, school work, social life, home life and many more metaphorical pancakes on the stack It can often become overwhelming. Principal Horsley has taken a previously unrecognized approach to simplify high school,  hopefully for the better.

GETTIN’ DOWN: Students dance out the stress of the first week of school at the Ice breaker dance, exemplifying being where they are supposed to be and doing what what they are supposed to be doing.