Top Students Receive Top Honors

The Most Scholarly of Them All

Back to Article
Back to Article

Top Students Receive Top Honors

THE GREATS: The honor students of SVHS accept their titles with grace and smiles.

Kate Linford, staff writer

Every year in the graduating class there are a few honors reserved for only the most dedicated students. Even though we like to believe that all students are dedicated, it is not always the case. There are some choice students that show remarkable academic excellence and strive for grades superior to all. The awards given to these students are Valedictorian and Salutatorian.

By world knowledge, these positions are for the students who take all the hard classes, participate in lots of activities, and have a lot more credit than your average teen.

The place of the Salutatorian went to Janelle Hoopes. Hoopes said her advice for all high schoolers is to “show up and do your homework.” This advice is pretty great and most graduating seniors would agree. Hoopes also said that she didn’t want to be Salutatorian because she had to give a speech and that high school was fun, but she is ready for the next chapter.

This year SVHS has three Valedictorians: Shay Erickson, Emmie Haywood, and Josie Currie. These three girls worked hard to be where they are at, or have they? Josie Currie said that she never really thought she’d be Valedictorian. “It was never my goal,” Currie said, “but as senior year went on, I realized I had a good shot so I went for it.”

Don’t we all wish that we could simply “go for it” and get the position of Valedictorian? So for all the juniors out there, there is a good chance you could be the next Valedictorian. These girls all eared the position of Valedictorian because they ended up with the same amount of credits and GPA.

All three Valedictorians named doing homework as the key to success. In regards to homework Currie said, “Whenever you have time, just get some of your homework done. School is a lot easier when you do homework. It makes tests easier too.”

Haywood’s word of wisdom for next year is to “take the classes you want and do what you want. It’s not worth it if you aren’t having any fun while you are here.”

Erickson  agrees with Haywood and said to “enjoy high school while you can because life gets harder.”

These poor seniors have to grow up and be part of the terrifying adult world. They’re as ready as they’ll ever be.