Artist Break Record at Art Symposium

CHEESE%3A+five+art+symposium+superstars+from+SVHS+pose+for+a+picture.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Artist Break Record at Art Symposium

CHEESE: five art symposium superstars from SVHS pose for a picture.

Rhett Jenkins, staff writer

Among the brainiacs, the jocks’s, the rebels, and the beauties, a unique group of artistically inclined students roam our high school. These art-inspired students had their moment to shine at Art Symposium at the end of April.

This year’s Art Symposium was the 51st annual State Art Symposium, the largest high school art Show of its kind in the nation. Sixty-Four schools participated, bringing 1,000 students and 4,215 pieces of art. Star Valley High School entered 217 pieces from 60 different students.

Competition kicked off Thursday, April 25th, in Casper, Wyoming when the ribbons starting flowing in and never stopped coming until the bus pulled out to head home. Twenty-eight different students from SVHS collected ribbons throughout the weekend for a total school count of 79 ribbons, the department’s largest total ever.

Senior Laurel Tree brought home a new school record with 11 ribbons, Senior Tiffany Whitby followed closely behind with 9 ribbons, and seniors Emmy Heywood and Essie Hunt brought home 7 ribbons. Senior Tiffany Whitby commented on symposium saying,”There are so many passionate young people in our school and around the state who are so good at expressing that passion through their talents. Sometimes I would be looking at a piece of art and be like ‘that is so cool’ and then look at the tag, and it was from our school, and that is just really cool to see that there are kids who you might know nothing about then you see their art, and it is like ‘wow you are so talented'”.

Juniors Sheyenne Labrum and Raynee Veigel both won the First Lady’s Choice award where the First Lady of Wyoming selects pieces from symposium to display in the Governor’s mansion for the next year. Tiffany Whitby took home  a $500 scholarship from the University of Wyoming for her pieces presented in Casper. Freshman Spencer Veigel won second place in the Portrait Life Drawing Competition where students have to draw from a model for 30 minutes then are judged and awarded for their drawing.

SVHS students composed two teams in the Mural Mania competition, a competition where students are given three random words, colored papers, scissors, and glue to create a mural that represents the three words the best. Team one comprised of seniors Abbie Christensen and Emmy Heywood and Juniors Brooke Kallgren and Shaelee Angel won first place in the competitioneniors Grey Hoggan, JeanElle Hoopes, Laurel Tree, and Callin Sanderson on team two placed second.

The students were not the only ones that shined at Art Symposium. Mrs. Kim Dockstader, who has taught at SVHS for 21 years, was awarded the 2020-2021 Secondary Art Educator of the year as voted by her peers across the state. Dockstader teaches art and photography and also advises the National Honor Society and Art Club.

Art teacher Mr. Adam Guild said,”Nerves were high coming off a record-breaking year last year, but the art students represented Lincoln County School District #2 and Star Valley High School very well once again.” These young artists dominated at this year’s art symposium showing that talent can be expressed in so many different ways.

STUDENTS’ CHOICE: Raynee Veigel’s oil painting was awarded the Students’ Choice award, an award where students at symposium vote for their favorite piece at the show.