Braves Dominate Junior Leg

BRAINIACS%3A+SVHS+Junior+Leg+participants+pose+for+a+photo+at+the+end+of+their+competition.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Braves Dominate Junior Leg

BRAINIACS: SVHS Junior Leg participants pose for a photo at the end of their competition.

Jhett Jenkins, staff writer

WINNERS:  SVHS seniors Scott Orton, Kailee Johnson, and Brennen Harris pose for a picture during their award at Junior Leg.

Politics are a major source of tension in our country, arising constantly from our president, congressional leaders, and even local government officials.

Controversy surrounding our country’s leadership has been common down through the years. This controversy  peaks the interest of some students in how our government works and has prompted them to  get involved in Junior Leg.

Junior Leg is an activity where students from the state come together and form the Student Legislative Assembly of the State of Wyoming. These students spend two days proposing and voting on “bills”, just like our national government does.

Junior Leg gives students the chance to see exactly how much goes into getting a real bill passed. Twenty-seven kids and 2 teachers traveled to rural Farson, Wyoming on Monday, April, 15th for two days and participated in this mock government.

Senior Koa Delong said, “It was really long, but overall pretty fun.” Mr. Lancaster, one of the teachers traveling with the participating students, said,”The kids were great and thought really logically. We brought 27 students, 6 bills, and competed against 6 other schools. Two of the Five outstanding delegate’s nominated for the weekend were from Star Valley. Only 10 of the 25 bills presented were passed and 5 of those 10 passed were from Star Valley.”

Politically-minded students from Star Valley High School bursting with talent made an impact at Junior Legislature  and  represented our school in number and by participation.