Braves Complete Year at State Tournament

DOUBLE+TEAM%3A+Tanner+Thompson+and+Mason+Erickson+look+to+shut+down+a+Cheyenne+Central+passer+in+the+Events+Center+in+Casper%2C+WY+at+the+state+tournament.+Photo+by+Jacob+Byk%2FWY+Tribune+Eagle.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

DOUBLE TEAM: Tanner Thompson and Mason Erickson look to shut down a Cheyenne Central passer in the Events Center in Casper, WY at the state tournament. Photo by Jacob Byk/WY Tribune Eagle.

Branden McDonald, staff writer

Braves basketball ended their season in Casper Wyoming at the 4A State Basketball Championship on Sat. March 9. The boys team faced Cheyenne East and then Cheyenne Central. Versus East, the team kept the game close through three quarters, but in the fourth East turned it on. When playing Central Brave defenders hd to face a seven footer surrounded by shooters. SV put up a very tough fight, but in the end, free throws from fouling put them behind by 11 where they would finish.

The Braves  started the season off rockily at the Star Valley Shootout, until they beat Thunder Basin,, and that turned their season around.

The team hadn’t qualified for the state tournament in 3A for the last three years, but after moving to 4A they punched their ticket to Casper and made this season a successful one. With commanding victories over respected 4A opponents Thunder Basin, Evanston twice, and Green River, the boys team show have far they have come since 2015.

“It was a successful year. It didn’t end the way I wanted, but this season will turn around Star Valley Basketball,” said senior Will Johnson.

Junior Chase Merrell added, “I feel like we have a lot of depth and with the juniors playing a lot this year, and we have always had that bond and competitive drive, so I think we will be able to compete this upcoming year at a high level.”

Junior RJ Cazier is already looking forward to next season. He said, “It was great balling with my boys, and I can’t wait for another chance at that state title that I desire.”

MAN UP: Dean Shaw, Chase Merrell, and RJ Cazier try to slow down Wyoming Gatorade Player of the Year Eric Oliver from Cheyenne East. Photo by Josh Galemore/Star Tribune