Moore, Wetzel, and Visser Feast at State Indoor Track Tournament

Branden McDonald, staff writer

The indoor track team went to Gillette the weekend of March 1st to compete for the state title. Outside of the of the 3 people that scored all of the team’s points, the team did not fair very well.

Asefa Wetzel scored 40 points in the distance events; the mile, 2 mile, 800m, and 4x800m. Peter Visser scored 34 points, also in distance events, finishing second in everyone of those events that Wetzel won. Wyatt Moore scored 24 points in the 55m, 200m, and long jump.

People come from around the world to watch Moore, Half-Man-Half Cheetah,  race. Rumor on the street is many fans have went watch him, but nobody has ever seen him run; they have only seen the smoke coming off his shoes. Despite his success, Moore still feels he has room to improve. “I could improve on my start by working on it more in practice.”

Moore credits “lots of caffeine” before he races and “lots of practice” for his success.

Coach Draney said,”Moore came up huge for us. He obviously broke the record, but we also counted on him heavily for the season and the meet.”

Over indoor state track weekend, Moore broke the school and state record in the 55 meter with a 6.48—the previous record was a 6.52. Wyatt has his sights set on the state 100 meter title in outdoor track this spring.

SOARIN’: Senior Wyatt Moore flies through the air to jump into the new track season. Moore, seen here during a home meet his sophomore year, shows the form that would go on to make him one of the best track athletes in the state.