Proposed Changes to Affect Hathaway Scholarship

Will Johnson, staff writer

This week (Feb 17-Feb 23) the Wyoming Legislature took another shot at changing the requirements for the Hathaway Scholarship for high school students looking to focus on career and technical education. The bill, Senate File 43, would change requirements for students to receive the two highest levels of funding through the Hathaway Scholarship. Instead of requiring two years of a foreign language class, the bill would allow students in 9th through 12th grades to take three years of one elective, career and vocational education, performing arts or foreign language.

The purpose for this bill is to give students who want to start training for certain careers a head start with educational funding.

According to Rob Hill, President of Association for Career and Technical Education:

“It just makes more sense for a student to study accounting in high school if they’re heading toward that career when they get into college. And that’s the same for so many other career paths, these students are in high demand in the businesses and industries we speak with on a constant basis. And we know the issues they have. They call it a workforce crisis, and we think we have some solutions to help.”

https://trib.com/news/state-and-regional/changes-to-hathaway-would-open-eligibility/article_dae93339-ae9c-5666-90c6-8b6371216449.htm

Counselor Ben Hale said, “The proposed changes won’t be a huge deal to most kids but the changes could give more experience in certain things to certain students that want a jump start on certain careers. The Change in the bill that will affect all Hathaway kids is the 5% increase in funds at every level of Hathaway.”

Senior Morrea Morgan said, “The proposed bill would be a nice change I guess. The 5% is definitely a good idea. It will help in state kids with college cost.”

Whether your for or against the proposed changes, they will affect all of Wyoming’s High School students.

1 Comment

One Response to “Proposed Changes to Affect Hathaway Scholarship”

1. Rob Hill on February 27th, 2019 3:35 pm

Thank you for writing an article about the recent changes to the Hathaway Scholarship. There were amendments made to the bill that changed the requirements. The requirements are that students must still take four elective years in CTE, Fine Arts, or Foreign Language to qualify for the top two tiers. Two of those years need to be in sequence (e.g. Accounting 1 and Accounting 2). The other two years can be any choice of the three elective areas. This means there is no foreign language requirement. Feedback from students shows this is very popular and we anticipate it to have a large impact on student choice..
    Here is a resource: https://hathawayscholarship.org/hathaway-scholarship/eligibility-requirements/
    Please feel free to contact me should you have other questions.
    Respectfully,

• Proposed Changes to Affect Hathaway Scholarship

News

Meet the Addams Family

• News

No Room for Debate

News

Join the Ride for the Hometown Hillclimbs

News

Treble Tone Concert Holiday Tradition

News

Senior’s Art to Appear in Celebrating Art 2019

News

Tech Takes Trip to Orlando

News

Modern Slavery Focus of Recent Assembly

News

National FFA Week Arrives

News

All-State All-Stars Sing in Casper

News

Meet the Addams Family