Tech Takes Trip to Orlando

Spread+%27Em%3A+IT+tech+Mr.+Tanner+Crook+draws+attention+at+the+Orlando+airport+security+gate.+Crook+and+other+educators+from+lcsd2+recently+traveled+to+the+Sunshine+State+for+a+tech+conference.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Tech Takes Trip to Orlando

Spread 'Em: IT tech Mr. Tanner Crook draws attention at the Orlando airport security gate. Crook and other educators from lcsd2 recently traveled to the Sunshine State for a tech conference.

Every couple of months teachers throughout the district go to different conferences around the country that better their education on how to teach their students. On January 27 through the 30, some teachers from our district went to Orlando, Florida to attend a tech conference.

Tyson Balls was amongst those who flew to a warmer place. To prove he didn’t waste his time or the district’s money, Balls talked about his experience at the conference.

Mr. Balls

What did you find most interesting about the conference?

I geeked out on the Autodesk Fusion 360 workshop that I went to.  It is a program that is online based, free for students, and allows you to easily create items to be 3D printed, cut with a laser or water jet, or made with a CNC machine.  We are getting a new water jet cutter and 3D printer in my classroom, so I was super excited to learn more about this program to help students create some cool stuff.  I also learned how to use Minecraft to teach coding, which is something I would like to do.

What is something you learned that you’ll use in your classroom?

Besides Fusion 360 and Minecraft for education, I learned about a new way to take notes.  It was actually a really cool program called Microsoft OneNote that I am going to start having my engineering students use for their engineering notebooks.  It has a lot of really cool features including an app that translates things, breaks down paragraphs into nouns, pronouns and adjectives.
I am also going to implement more along the lines of a digital fabrication shop.  That essentially means making part of my shop into a makerspace, designed around letting students design things on the computer or using other digital methods and create them into a working prototype.  Super neat stuff.
Is there anything else about the conference and your trip that you would like to have reported?
I made it through security again without being stopped for looking suspicious, but my streak continues of having someone in my party searched.  Tanner Crook got nabbed.