Modern Slavery Focus of Recent Assembly

Back to Article
Back to Article

Modern Slavery Focus of Recent Assembly

FREEDOM: Former SVHS graduate Tyler Schwab speaks to the student body about the reality of modern-day slavery.

RJ Cazier, staff writer

Since the beginning of time, people have enslaved each other. Slavery is found in the Mesopotamian Code of Hammurabi, which refers to it as a way of life; ancient Egyptian pharaohs had slaves to build the pyramids, and we all know about our own country’s history with slaves.

In 1863 President Abraham Lincoln passed the Emancipation Proclamation which made slavery illegal in the United States. Most people think that slavery ended there, but that is far from the truth.

Across the globe slavery of all types still exists in full force today. In 2019 there are more slaves than there has every been. Slaves are being sold and purchased for sex, labor and a variety of other awful things. Organizations have been establish to put an end to this abomination.

On Thursday, Feb 7th, former SVHS 2009 graduate Tyler Schwab came to speak to the student body during an assembly dedicated to informing the students about the reality of modern-day slavery and his organization’s efforts to stop it.  “I had no clue that slavery was still a thing. I think its pretty cool that there are people fighting against it,” said junior Jacob Kertesz.

Gifts of Grace is a non-profit corporation started by Schwab that operates exclusively for educational and charitable purposes. Their purpose is to help prevent child trafficking through education. Proceeds raised go to the tuition, textbooks, school supplies of those children unable to attend school or afford supplies due to poverty-stricken circumstances. Other funds are used for the pursuit of justice and rescue for other enslaved children. The proceeds primarily go to children in the Dominican Republic, then to children who are residents of other countries. “It’s crazy that there are more slaves today than ever. It is awesome that Tyler has established Gifts of Grace to help,” said  junior Bryson Jenkins.

Schwab also works closely with Operation Underground Railroad, an organization dedicated to the fight against slavery.

A couple students are involved with Gifts of Grace and have parents who also help the team. Junior Adalaide Roberts said, “My mom and Angie Jeske are involved with the operation in Haiti. They are going to Haiti in the fall and I plan on going.”

Senior Andrew Jeske said, “If you want to help, follow Gifts of Grace on social media. If you want to come to Haiti, talk to me or Adelaide about the details. It will be in August!”

SV BOY: Tyler Schwab grew up in Star Valley. He played basketball in high school. He is the Founder of Gifts of Grace. The inspiration for Gifts of Grace came while serving a mission in the Dominican Republic. Tyler is a graduate of Brigham Young University-Idaho with a degree in Healthcare Administration and he currently attends the University of Wyoming as an MBA candidate. Tyler is a fan of hiking, photography, Marvel movies, and rock concerts. He served as a missionary in the Dominican Republic and he currently resides in Salt Lake City, Utah where he continues to fight the sexual exploitation of children with Operation Underground Railroad.

In this day and age, slavery has a new meaning. There are multitudes of children and adults being held captive and forced into modern-day slavery. Hundreds of organizations have been established to try to stop this atrocity. You can help Schwab’s Gifts of Grace by donating or liking them on Facebook or Instagram.