Basketball Teams Take Driver’s Seat

Back to Article
Back to Article

Basketball Teams Take Driver’s Seat

COMFORTABLE: The Braves and Lady Braves head into Feb. at the top of their quadrants.

Will Johnson, staff writer

As the basketball teams hit the middle of the season and have played all their conference opponents once, the Braves and Lady Braves are both sitting atop the Southwest Quadrant. The coaches and players feel happy with their efforts so far, but both realize there is still a lot of improving and lots of games left in the season.

Boys: 4A Southwest: (Quadrant Record listed first, then Overall Record)

Star Valley 3-0, 9-5

Evanston 2-1, 6-8

Green River 1-2, 7-6

Jackson 0-3, 6-7

Girls: 4A Southwest: (Quadrant Record listed first, then Overall Record)

Star Valley 3-0, 11-3

Evanston 2-1, 9-6

Green River 1-2, 7-7

Jackson 0-3, 2-11

Boys Head Coach Paul Kabonic is very happy with his team. “We are number 1 in our pod and number 2 in the west as far as rankings go. But we have 2 key conference games in the coming weeks that will really test us: on the road in Green River and Evanston. Its very hard to win on the road against these teams. As improvements go we have a long ways to go before we get to where we wanna be. We have not shot the ball really well in any game this year; we are winning games without shooting well. When we shoot well we will be a very dangerous team towards the end of the season. We also don’t need to get to that point just yet. If we can get shooting the ball really well around regionals, we will be very successful. Our defense has been very good the  past few weeks, and I’m very happy with the improvement. Another area that we need to improve on is our turnovers. At the beginning of the season we would have lots every night. Right now we average between 10-15 a night, and we need to get that number down. What I am looking forward to in the rest of the season is to take care of our home court, get playing better, and make it to state and win it.”

Senior Tanner Thompson looks to make a key pass. “This Basketball season has felt a lot like our football season this year. We’ve approached it with an underdog mentality and have been able to do a lot of things that people didn’t think we were capable of,” said Thompson.

Girls Head Coach Dave Moore is also very pleased with the Lady Braves at this point in the season.“We are in a good spot at this point in the season. We are number 1 in our quadrant, but there is still room for improvement. Some areas that we need to improve on is our consistency on offense. We need to make sure that we are getting a shot on every position of offense. Also, we can always improve on our defense. The goals that we have for the end of the season are ultimately keep improving, get to state and win it.” 

Heads up! Senior Cassie Hunsaker is excited for the rest of the season. “I think we need to continue working on playing as a team and make the extra pass. Im looking forward to regionals and state because if we keep it up, we have a good chance at winning state.”

With only one home game left on the third weekend of February,  get out and support the Braves and Lady Braves before its to late!