Indoor Soccer Places 3rd at Worland Indoor Tournament

Back to Article
Back to Article

TIRED: After the long car ride home, the team gathers for a team photo in the cold.

Tony Reyes, staff writer

Soccer. I’ts an outside sport played on the grass or turf. Normally, played in the spring here in Star Valley, this year some members of the Braves team started early and took it indoor.

Worland High School held an indoor soccer tournament on Saturday January 26th. Many schools attended from around the area including Lander, Sheridan, Powell, Riverton, and  Star Valley. Eight Braves made the 5 hour trip to Worland.

Every hotel in Worland seemed to be booked or way over-priced, so the players spent Friday night in Thermopolis. There isn’t much to do in Thermopolis ,so they didn’t do much other than having dinner at the One Eyed Buffalo, a popular restaurant in the town. Later that night four of the kids attended a basketball game at Thermopolis High School.

GRUB: The travel soccer team spent the night in Thermopolis and ate at the One Eyed Buffalo.

The tournament consisted of 3 pool games that determined a team’s seed in the tournament. The travel team representing SVHS was coached by Dave Hutchinson, father of former SVHS superstar Noah Hutchinson. Seniors Robert Choma and Gerson Lozano, juniors Cael Delgado, Bryson Jenkins, Micah Hokum, and Tony Reyes, and sophomores Eddie Dickey and Ethan Nelson played Sheridan in the first round, and after only 5 minutes of warming up they won by a score of 6-2.

In round 2, the SV squad played against one of the Worland teams that they beat in a close game 2-1. The final pool game before the tournament was against Lander. The whole team was tired for this tough game, but they still won 2-0. Due to their undefeated record in the pool games, the team was seeded number 1 in the tournament.

DYING: Juniors Tony Reyes and Cael Delgado sweat a lot after securing their #1 seed in a tight game

After a 10 minute break, the tournament started. As the number-one seed, the Star Valley team played a fourth-seed Worland team. The Worland team showed up and played crazily. It was a tight game but Tony Reyes put in the game winning goal at the end of the game to win 2-1. In the semifinals, the team of Braves played a rematch against the Sheridan team. After losing to the Braves in pool play, the Sheridan team went on a run and won 4 straight games. This was a tight game and the Braves fell 2-1 to the Sheridan team and ultimately came away with a 3rd place.

Overall, it was a successful weekend for Star Valley. They placed 3rd and got to check out some of the competition they’ll be seeing in the spring. Senior Robert Choma said, “This experience was great, and we got to work on fundamentals and team chemistry.” This was  great trip to show how the team could play without all the basketball players and wrestlers who will join the team when the season officially starts in the spring.