Record Breaking Weekend at the Olympic Oval

Jhett Jenkins, staff writer

FAST FINGERS: A photo from Coach Draney’s Instagram shows Emily Heywood helping teammate Eve Mavy get a little more streamlined for her race at the Olympic Oval in Kearns Utah.

Over the  weekend of Feb 1st in Kearns, Utah, some of the biggest and best indoor track teams came out to play, but they could not keep up with the Star Valley High School’s Indoor track team.

SVHS came in full force. The men’s team won the meet beating their closest opponent by 7 points. Big scorers on the distance running side included senior Aefsa Wetzel winning the 1600 with a new personal best, and school record, with a time of 4:18. Close behind him was sophomore Peter Visser in 4th clocking in at 4:24. They continued to rack up points in the 3200 with Wetzel finishing second and Visser rounding out the top 10.

Wetzel and Visser finished their weekend with top 10 finishes in the 800 as well. The sprinters, though not as many as the distance runners, were a strong force as well with Senior Wyatt Moore coming 2nd in the 200 meter dash. Moore also finished 4th in the 60 meter dash. “My times this weekend were faster than last weekend, and I am hoping to continue the progress. The season had been fun. I am looking forward to getting faster all the way to outdoor,” said Moore.

Though the girls team did not score as many points as the boys, they fought hard and posted impressive times for the weekend. Senior Emmy Heywood finished 16th out of 123 runners in the 800, leading a promising distance team that nearly all ran a season or personal best. Heywood also ran a quick 1600 to finish in the top 35.

Junior Shaelee Angel was the fastest Star Valley girl in the 3200 with freshman Eve Mavy right behind her. Those ladies rounded out the top 35.

Indoor track gives track athletes a time to build strength through the team and prepare the for outdoor track in the spring. With such a strong presence in a Utah meet, the team is looking great for the culminating state tournament in Gillette at the beginning of March.