Math Students Standing and Wobbling

Back to Article
Back to Article

Math Students Standing and Wobbling

ALL RISE: Students in Mr. Kurt-Mason's classroom take advantage of the elevated tables and wobble stools to help them engage more successfully in their math studies.

Jayden Nield, staff writer

Things always change, usually for the better. Lincoln County School District is always improving in different ways. One of the recent changes involves the seating in the classroom of Mr. Kurt-Mason.

Instead of the traditional, stationary desks, Kurt-Mason recently upgraded. Half of his class room now has tables that raise so students can stand while they learn. When sitting, they can park themselves on his new wobble stools. Many researchers have said that kids want to move in the classroom, and they learn more while being active.

Kurt-Mason discussed his thinking behind trading his desks in for wobble chairs and elevating tables:

Why did you want to change the seating of the class? “There is an incredible amount of research and data that shows the benefit of movement in a classroom. It’s something that teachers and administrators  have been using more, so why wouldn’t we give the same opportunity to our students.”

Has it benefited the kids in the classroom? “Yes, there has definitely been a few examples of benefits;however, the larger impact is harder to see at this point. I only received them at the end of last semester, so growth has been harder to measure.”

Will you fill the rest of the class with the same tables and chairs? “That’s the goal. It depends on funding and the trial of whether the desks and wobble stools are working and actually beneficial.”

What has been the reaction from the rest of the staff regarding the different tables and chairs? “The support from administration was exceptionally positive, helping me get to this point. There has also been a lot of interest from other teachers, wanting to know how they are working and how they might be able to do something similar.”

“I really like them. They help me a lot because I have trouble sitting still for long amounts of time,” said freshman Emily Ludwig.

Anything that helps make math easier seems like a good idea. If standing and wobbling starts working in Kurt-Mason’s sections, maybe the equipment he’s added to his classroom will start to appear in more rooms throughout the building.