Sanitizing of the Hands

Do you take advantage of the jugs?

THE+LEGEND+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Sanitizing of the Hands

THE LEGEND

THE LEGEND

THE LEGEND

THE LEGEND

Kate Linford, staff writer

The hero no one credits . . . Hand Sanitizer. I’m sure you recognize the giant, unnaturally massive jugs of hand sanitizer scattered throughout classrooms in the school. This is such a natural sight that we don’t even register the significance of these receptacles of clear cleanliness.

We don’t give credit to the one thing that has remained constant since kindergarten. Friends change, classes change, and puberty swoops in and slams kids like a truck, but that hand sanitizer, that will last forever. Literally. Have you ever seen one of those bad boys run out? No, because they don’t. They are bottomless pits of germ-killing liquid.

Hand sanitizer is a liquid generally used to decrease infectious agents on the hands. We all know that germs have a law that specifically states they cannot get on food for 5 seconds. If we look in the germ bylaws. this rule does not apply to the common human hand. No one is safe. Formulations of the alcohol-based type are preferable to hand washing with soap and water. (Some people would even argue that alcohol is better then drinking water too) Hand sanitizer is generally more effective at killing microorganisms and is better tolerated than soap and water. The search on Wikipedia said, “Hand washing should still be carried out following the use of the toilet.” At least we know that Wikipedia isn’t comprised of complete idiots and they agree with standard sanitation.

Some skeptics argue that hand sanitizer does not actually kill germs at all, but rather festers, creating large germ pools on the hand. This allows the germs to spread, causing even more contaminated damage. Many people actually refuse the use of hand sanitizer because of this slight possibility. Some weirdos even encourage germs so they can build up their immune systems. “I personally don’t like hand sanitizer because it dries out my hands and it creates super germs. I like good old fashioned hand washing,” said student Claire Green. Many other students stated that they simply forgot that hand sanitizer was even an option. Taylor Horsley said, “I honestly forget that they have the hand sanitizer in classrooms. It’s just such a normal part of classroom life at this point.”

This leaves us the debate of a lifetime: Does hand sanitizer save or break lives?

Comment your opinion.