State Drama Triumphant

A Screen Play.

Back to Article
Back to Article

State Drama Triumphant

MAKING A SCENE: State drama participants in Riverton during a successful showing for SVHS.

Jackson Day, staff writer

LIFE IN THE EYES OF JEFFREY SCRIPT

[Wednesday, November 28th, 2018. About 1 o’clock. JACKSON DAY and OLIVIA MUIR in the library conference room asking JEFFREY JOHNSON random questions for a video entitled, “Life Through the Eyes of Jeff” as JEFF prepared for state drama. JACKSON and JEFF sit in two large seats as OLIVIA sits behind an iPad on a tripod. The conversation was quality, but the video’s audio was not. The video had no audio what so ever. The characters move around the stage ad libbing, but never make any noise.]

[An omnipotent voice stops the scene. ALL freeze but JACKSON responds to the voice, talking directly to the audience.]

OMNIPOTENT VOICE:

Excuse me, Mr. Day? How did you screw up “Life in the eyes of Jeffrey” so badly? It was a simple task, was it not?

JACKSON (sheepishly):

Okay, so, here’s the deal– I just kinda suck as a human being. It was a simple task, but for me even the most simple of tasks can confuse me.

OMNIPOTENT VOICE:

You mean to tell me that between you and Olivia you couldn’t manage to figure out how to properly record a video on an iPad?

JACKSON:

You know, you could say that. I don’t want to say that, but you totally could, and I can’t fault you.

OMNIPOTENT VOICE:

How do you plan to solve this problem?

JACKSON:

I think there’s just enough money in the budget for reshoots. I’m not sure if we could afford the real Jeff this time though. We might have to hire an impersonator and edit it in post. It’s not a grand idea, but it’s better than nothing.

[Monday, December 3rd, 2018. Just after 1 o’clock. JACKSON corralls DUNCAN ELDER, ELSIE ENGLAND, MAKIA HADERLIE, KAMRYN JOHNSON, and of course, JEFFERY JOHNSON into the library conference room to ask them random question after they returned from state drama. Two chairs are set up in front of a fireplace displayed on a TV. JACKSON remains in one seat as everyone else rotates sitting the other. They’re recording, “Life in the Eyes of Jeff”, but audio problems persist. Again, the characters move around the stage ad libbing, this time never speaking louder than a whisper.]

[An omnipotent voice stops the scene. ALL freeze, but JACKSON responds to the voice, talking directly to the audience.]

OMNIPOTENT VOICE:

Boy, you’re really a special one aren’t you?

JACKSON (defensively):

Okay now, there’s no need for personal attacks. I happen to be a little special, and I may have messed up the audio again, but at least I’m trying.

OMNIPOTENT VOICE:

You literally had one job.

JACKSON:

I just happened to set the microphone too far away.

OMNIPOTENT VOICE (judgingly):

Why is that again?

JACKSON (pridefully):

It was for a visual gag. I had put the microphone on a base of an old touch tone telephone I found in the prop room. It was a micro-phone.

OMNIPOTENT VOICE:

And remind me again—could you even see the visual gag in the video?

JACKSON:

That’s irrelevant. Anyway, this time I can just fix it in post.

[ALL but JACKSON move from stage. Stage is cleared as JACKSON turns around in place]

JACKSON:

Okay, so I can’t actually fix it in post. I can just barely hear everything, but it’s horrible quality. The budget’s gone, and I’m near out of time. My career is ruined.

OMNIPOTENT VOICE:

Couldn’t you just turn the endeavour into a script and pretend you meant to do that the whole time? It’s for state drama—it seems fitting.

[JACKSON brightens as ALL return to the stage. The same set as before, but now a table is in front of the two chairs with the mirco-phone resting on top. JACKSON takes one seat as KAMRYN takes the other.]

JACKSON:

[Speaking to the audience] Welcome guys and gals to “Life Through the Eyes of Jeff”. Today we have Kamryn Johnson on set to talk about State Drama! Whoop! [Speaking more naturally, directed at Kamryn] So Kamryn, I’m going to start off by asking the most vital question of today’s interview. [Pause] Who is your favorite Mario Kart character?

KAMRYN:

White Yoshi. It’s cute. If you play as White Yoshi, you never lose.

JACKSON:

Is that proven by science?

KAMRYN:

It’s proven by me.

JACKSON:

Oh, well, you heard it here first, guys! Now, how was State Drama? I know that’s vague, but just tell me how you feel.

KAMRYN:

I had so much fun and it was so meaningful watching. Drama is often lost in the background. People don’t seem to care about it and stuff. And that’s not fair to people. Now being a part of State Drama, and going to see all these kids who have been practicing just as hard as any sport team has, it gave me a respect for them. You begin to realize they deserve attention, just like anyone else would. The Drama Kids did a one act with about 7 or 8 people in it. By the end of it, I was crying because I got to see the whole process—the amounts of effort they put into it. It was a really eye-opening experience. We’re already preparing for next year.

JACKSON:

That’s absolutely amazing! Thank you for telling us all about that, and I would agree. We really need to represent our Drama Kids better.

[KAMRYN exits. ELSIE enters.]

JACKSON:

Look who it is. It’s Elsie England. So Elsie, what was the last book you really got into?

ELSIE:

Ooh, that’d probably have to be Saving Kristen.

JACKSON:

I feel I know the answer, but was it any good? Give us a quick synopsis.

ELSIE:

It’s a love story, so for all you girls out there, it’s a good one. Guy meets girl, and he just makes her world perfect.

JACKSON:

Speaking of love stories, you performed a song called “It Could Totally Happen” with Jacob Seilbach, right? I saw you guys at the Drama showcase, and boy, that was the cutest thing I’ve ever seen. Could you tell us a little about it?

ELSIE:

To start off I just have to say, I love that song. It was fun to be a giddy little high schooler. It was just so much fun.

JACKSON:

I doubt you could hear it, but the whole audience was just like, “awwww, I wish I had someone who loved me like that.” Even the married couples. Anyway, how was State Drama for you?

LOVE STORY: Elsie England and Jacob Seilbach performing their piece.

ELSIE:

It was so much fun. We learned so much, and met so many wonderful people. Everyone was so supportive; it was really cool.

JACKSON:

I’m glad to hear that, thank you Elsie!

[ELSIE exits. DUNCAN enters.]

JACKSON:

Duncan Elder. Duncan. {Sigh} Duncan, are hot dogs a sandwich?

DUNCAN:

In my humble opinion, yes.

JACKSON:

So, does that mean tacos are sandwiches?

DUNCAN:

No.

JACKSON [half cutting off DUNCAN]:

What’s the difference? Explain to the good people at home. What is the difference between a taco and a hot dog and a sandwich? Like a soft shell taco, if it’s folded in half, it practically just a hot dog, right?

DUNCAN:

Yeah, but one is bread and one is a tortilla. And they’re different kinds of meat.

JACKSON:

So if I took a hot dog and tore it up and squished the bun it’s a taco?

DUNCAN:

I’d still have to say no, but I do want to try this creation.

JACKSON:

Fair. Next time we’ll just have to do “Cooking with Jeff”. But on a more serious note, what’d you do at State Drama?

DUNCAN:

Ah, I didn’t do the one act or a monologue. I did a song. We get judged on it and get score cards back and try to improve from there. Every event is a little different. For musical theater you have to be able to sing and act, but with monologues you just have act. Monologues are still really hard though. You have to really think about the emotion you’re trying to show. It can be difficult considering your piece is already written so you have to identify how the piece should be delivered and then actually have the skill to convey it.

ONE MAN SHOW: Duncan doing his thing.

JACKSON:

Boy, I that sounds rough. It kinda sounds like English outside of class. Thank you for your time, Duncan.

[DUNCAN exits. MAKIA enters.]

JACKSON:

Here we are again. We’re having a good time. [Quickly turns to MAKIA] What is your favorite international food, Makia?

MAKIA:

Probably curry.

JACKSON (quizzingly):

Curry?

MAKIA [nodding her head]:

Curry. [Pause] Mango curry. It’s fantastic.

JACKSON [nodding his head:

‘Ight. Understood. So, in every group there’s always some sort of stupid little running joke. Is that the case for the Drama Kids?

MAKIA:

[Chuckles] Well, Duncan had girls practically eating out of the palm of his hand. During his song he hit this really high note, and girls have a tendency to like guys who can hit really high notes. [aside] Despite what you might think. When he was singing I watching all the girls, and when he hit the high note all the girls went from sitting normal to being all slumped. They all went from “yeah, I’m kinda paying attention” to “holy heck, what did I just hear.” The rest of the weekend, whenever we went anywhere, there would be girls watching Duncan. When Duncan walked past they’d all just stop.

JACKSON:

Duncan, is this true? Are you really such a ladies man?

[DUNCAN enters.]

DUNCAN:

Only in other places. I’m actually quite lonely.

JACKSON:

Well, you heard that, Ladies. If you’re looking for a date, come talk to Duncan Elder.

DUNCAN [looking directly at audience]:

Please. I’m very lonely and sad.

JACKSON [looking at audience]:

You know, that actually goes for both of us. [Pause] Oh, and Jeffery. Jeff’s back there nodding. So if any of the ladies out there are really desperate–

DUNCAN [cutting off JACKSON]:

Approach us.

JACKSON:

Yes, please. Talk to us.

DUNCAN:

Please.

JACKSON:

My number is 307-203-5308

DUNCAN [cutting off JACKSON]:

307-887-0099. Text, call, do anything you want. I’m sad.

[ALL quickly exit but JACKSON]

OMNIPOTENT VOICE:

See, that worked pretty well didn’t it?

JACKSON:

You could definitely say that. As an added bonus this allows me to include stuff I no one knew about when I first recorded. Like, the list of All-State Honors!

Kamryn Johnson, Musical Solo

Duncan Elder, Musical Solo

Rowena Petrova, Musical Solo

Elsie England, Musical Solo

Makia Haderlie and Rowena Petrova, Musical Duet

Preston Buehler and Weston Stucki, Musical Duet

Jacob Seilbach and Elsie England, Musical Duet

Allison Bates, Novice Monologue

Kaylee Turner, Novice Monologue

Olivia Cottam, Fantasy Makeup

Emma Parker, Fantasy Makeup

Makayla Miller, Realistic Makeup

Jared Shorter, Lighting Design

Emma Parker, Acting-One Act Proscenium

Makayla Miller, Acting-One Act Proscenium

Kaitlin LeBeau, Acting-One Act Proscenium

OMNIPOTENT VOICE:

Look at that. All’s well that ends well, I guess.

[CURTAIN]

1 Comment

One Response to “State Drama Triumphant”

1. Kaylee Turner on January 4th, 2019 9:08 am

You forgot my one act peroscenium!

• State Drama Triumphant

News

Students Warm up at Winter Formal

• State Drama Triumphant

News

White Listing Gets Blacklisted

• State Drama Triumphant

News

SVHS Blood Drive Attracts 36 Donors

• State Drama Triumphant

News

White List Incentive Policy Changed

• News

Color the Halls

• News

Students Honor, Remember Vets with Assembly

• News

Zoology Students Visit Loveland Living Planet Aquarium

• State Drama Triumphant

News

Football Players Interact with Future Athletes

• News

Internet Safety Assembly Repeats Important Information

• State Drama Triumphant

News

Braves Take Action on Annual Service Day

State Drama Triumphant