Only State Will Do

Braves Have Sights Firmly Set on State Title

Jayden Nield, staff writer

The Star Valley Braves Wrestlers have been working hard this year and are shooting for a state title, in fact, nothing else will do. In their season so far they have torn it up at every dual or tournament they have attended, wiping the floor and takings wins. Many people expect them to dominate the competition and win it all. With this expectation from the wrestlers, coaches and community, it takes the edge off in some ways. How will the wrestlers and coaches keep a sharp edge when many already assume they have the state title locked up?

Coach Clark 

What do you focus on to get to state?  “Our goal is to get better everyday. We find our weaknesses and work towards making them our strengths.”
What has been your favorite dual/tournament so far? “I really enjoyed kicking the guts out of Rock Springs. I’m really excited about the dual against Green River though that’s coming up. On paper we’re not supposed to win, and I’m excited to see the outcome.”
On a scale of 1-10 how hungry are you? “Not very hungry, probably a 2.”

Coach Patterson

What do you focus on to get to state? “Individual preparedness in regards to technique and conditioning. We also focus on helping athletes with their weight management program so they have energy to be able finish at their peak performance.”
What has been your favorite dual/tournament this year? “Green river because they are always physical and technically sound. We often times finish that dual with a feeling of accomplishment because the kids are battered and gave it all they had and felt the successes of accomplishment.”
On a scale from 1-10 how hungry are you? “9.”

Parker Merritt  (Junior)

What do you focus on to get to state? “I focus on going hard in practice and being conditioned to go through the three rounds.”
How do you keep yourself wrestling at your best? “Eating right and not drinking soda or energy drinks.”
What has been your favorite dual/tournament so far? “Probably the Rock Springs dual when everyone was yelling my name. Being under the light was amazing.”
On a scale of 1-10 how hungry are you? “Probably a 1, I really don’t have to cut weight. I’m 40 pounds under and can eat what I want, but I try not to eat in front of the guys who have to cut.”

Kyle Kunz  (Senior)

What do you focus on to get to state? “I focus on conditioning.”
How do you keep yourself wrestling at your best? “I do my best to stay healthy.”
What has been your favorite dual/tournament so far? “The Braves Brawl has my favorite because it was home and we didn’t have to travel.”
On a scale of 1-10 how hungry are you? “7.”

Tyson Hoopes  (Senior) 

What do you focus on to get to state?  “Just working hard.”
How do you keep youself wrestling at your best? “Always working hard in reactive and not taking it easy. I also eat the right stuff when I get to eat.”
What has been your favorite dual/tournament so far? “My favorite dual this year would be against Bear River in Weber because they pushed us, and everyone had to wrestle their best.”

Tristian Hicks  (Senior)

What do you focus on to get to state?  “I use the fact that I lost last year as motivation.”
How do you keep yourself wrestling at your best? “Practice hard everyday.”
What has been your favorite dual/tournament so far? “My favorite was the Braves Brawl because I love wrestling in front of the home crowd.”
On a scale of 1-10 how hungry are you? “9.5.”

Spencer Larson  (Junior)

What do you focus on to get to state?  “Staying healthy and practicing hard.”
How do you keep yourself wrestling at your best? “Eating the right things and getting sleep.”
What has been your favorite dual/tournament so far? “The Braves Brawl. I went undefeated ,and we didn’t travel so that was nice.”
On a scale of 1-10 how hungry are you? “8.”

Koa DeLong  (Senior)

What do you focus on to get to state? “Not being bad.”
How do you keep yourself wrestling at your best? “I eat healthy.”
What has been your favorite dual/tournament so far? “Weber because I went  8-0.”
On a scale of 1-10 how hungry are you? “5.”

Grayson Hicks  (Senior)

What do you focus on to get to state? “Pretty much just focus on the tournament or dual that weeekend.”
How do you keep yourself wrestling at your best? “Just eating healthy and keeping the right mind set.”
What has been your favorite dual/tournament so far? “The Braves Brawl because we get to wrestle a lot of matches and it’s at home.”
On a scale of 1-10 how hungry are you? “About a 4 I guess.”

Harrison Hoopes  (Freshmen)

What do you focus on to get to state? “Staying at my weight.”
How do you keep yourself wrestling at your best? “Clark yells at me if I don’t.”
What has been your favorite dual/tournament this year? “Probably the Rock Springs dual because I almost won against a State Champ.”
On a scale from 1-10 how hungry are you? “Uhhh 10.”

If the Star Valley Braves wrestlers keep dominating the way they have been, there should be no worries about taking the state title for the 2018-2019 year.