SVHS Blood Drive Attracts 36 Donors

HOPE+BEGINS+WITH+YOU%3A+The+Star+Valley+High+School+Blood+Drive+took+place+on+December+4th.+The+Student+Council+and+Honors+Biology+Class+hosted+this+blood+drive+
Back to Article
Back to Article

SVHS Blood Drive Attracts 36 Donors

HOPE BEGINS WITH YOU: The Star Valley High School Blood Drive took place on December 4th. The Student Council and Honors Biology Class hosted this blood drive

Olivia Muir, Staff Writer

The Red Cross  developed the first nationwide civilian blood program in the 1940’s, and civilians still provide more than 40% of the blood products in this country.  There are different ways donors can give. Donations can be either whole or of only specific components in the blood.

Forty students and faculty participated in the American Red Cross Blood Drive on December 4th. Thirty-four were first time donors including 4 deferrals. Kurt Lyman said, “I applaud your high school for being willing to do a drive in the December time frame. Winter and Summer months are the toughest time of the year to meet your blood commitments to the local hospital.” This year has been tough too with getting donations because the hurricanes and fires have impeded hundreds of blood drives.

There are many benefits of donating blood. The donations normally go toward cancer patients, trauma patients, and patients with chronic diseases. According to the American Red Cross , “Every day, blood donors help patients of all ages In fact, every two seconds, someone in the U.S. needs blood.” Senior Josie Curry was one of the donors. “I did the drive because I know how it helps with the community. I see it as my duty since others do not have the ability to donate,” she said.  She continues with her favorite part, “The feeling you get knowing you may have to save someones life. Also the snacks.”

For each blood drive there is a goal of how many donors they expect or need. This year the goal for the school’s blood drive was 39 donors and missed by only 3 people.  For the next year  to come there is hopes to meet the goals  and have the school conduct another very successful blood drive.