Oldest Teachers Still Going Strong

Back to Article
Back to Article

Oldest Teachers Still Going Strong

LEGACY: Mr. Bennett, the longest-tenured teacher at the high school, started teaching here in 1988.

Asefa Wetzel, staff writer

WAY BACK: Dallas Warren, the oldest teacher at the school, started here in 1989.

Agnes Zhelesnik, fondly referred to as “Granny” by her students and coworkers, is widely considered to be America’s oldest schoolteacher. At 102, she still works almost full-time teaching preschool and elementary-aged pupils how to cook and sew. When you’re over 40 and have taught for decades, you’re no longer one of the young, hip teachers fresh out of college. This may sound crazy, but some Star Valley High School teachers can relate to this.

We have teachers who taught at the old high school before it was torn down over 20 years ago ago, making them some pretty dang old teachers. What’s that mean for education? Older means more experienced and the longest-tenured teachers at SVHS have experienced a lot.

These guys are now teaching the grandchildren of students they taught early in their careers, and they still have more years under the hood to continue making bank.

The top 5 oldest teachers in Star Valley High School are #1 Dallas Warren, #2 Mark Nethercott, #3 Homer Bennett, #4 McKay Erickson, and #5 Joe Wetzel.

These old teachers are also the longest-tenured teachers here. Homer Bennett takes the #1 spot. Bennett started in 1988 when Mr. Fullmer and Mr. Rob Erickson were seniors! Dallas Warren came one year later and is at #2 while #3 is a tie between Mark Nethercott, McKay Erickson, Shane Williams (now at the middle school), and Joe Wetzel who all came in 1992. Fullmer and Rob Erickson followed them in 1994. When you see these these vets hanging out in the hallways, ask them questions and get ready for all kinds of answers.

Warren has passed 60 and still teaches welding and anything shop-related down the vocational hall. “A lot has changed since I started teaching at the Star Valley High School. 6 periods a day 45 minutes, no guided reading or 5th hour and now we have 90 minute classes. When kids argued during class, I used to let them box the heck out of each other with boxing gloves, but now you lose a job if it happens,” said Warren.

Mr. Wetzel said, “I feel so old now because I have former students who have grandchildren right now.”