Chasing My Dad

RJ Cazier Joins Father as First 1,000 Yard Father/Son Rushing duo in Braves History.

1K: Junior RJ Cazier runs down the field during the first home game of the season.  Cazier, who went over 1,000 yards on the season on Oct 26 against Worland, said,

1K: Junior RJ Cazier runs down the field during the first home game of the season.  Cazier, who went over 1,000 yards on the season on Oct 26 against Worland, said, "To be honest, I never thought I would ever run for 1000 yards, especially not my junior year."

RJ Cazier, staff writer

In the football game against Worland on Friday, Oct. 26, something special happened. For the first time in Star Valley history a father and son both rushed for a thousand yards in a season for the Braves. I became the 8th 1000 yard yard rusher in 7 years from a program that seems to crank out high-yard rushers year after year.

But long before I joined this group, my dad did it. During the 1990 football season, my dad Jason Cazier became one of the first 1,000 yard rushers from Star Valley. He had zero knowledge that in roughly 30 years he and his son would make history. He said, “I am glad RJ did this and I am super proud of him. It is pretty cool that we are the only father son duo to do this.” Although he doesn’t carry the ball for the team anymore, my dad coaches the JV defense, and is the varsity defensive line coach.

I was 64 yards away from passing my dad’s season total before I did it against Cody on Nov. 2.  I’m 5th all-time on the touchdowns scored list and 1 touchdown away from tying Collin McGinley’s total from 2016.  I have the chance to improve on both before the season ends, but in a way, I’ll always be the 2nd Cazier people think of when it comes to Brave running backs. I’ve been chasing my dad my whole life, and even though I may have caught him on the field, I think I may be chasing him for a whole lot longer.