Visser Runs for the Money

ALL SMILES: State individual winner Peter Visser laughs at the entertainment during the cross country state send-off assembly.

It’s no secret that Star Valley High School has a premium cross country program. With intense practices, great coaches, and a fantastic team, it’s safe to say our cross country team is one of the best. Though they didn’t get the state title for the 7th year in a row, junior Peter Visser took the state individual title for 3A and had the fastest race time overall.

Peter ran a 15:56 5K making him the fastest runner in the state for that race. When asked how he felt about taking state, Visser said, “It’s really cool, I’ve been working really hard all season and I’m happy with the results.”

Cross Country takes hard work and some serious dedication. Peter says he’s been training for this year’s season since the beginning of the 2018 summer. When asked what made Visser decide to do cross country in the first place, he said, “It seemed like a good program, and I’ve always enjoyed running to stay active.”

Behind every great runner runs a great coach, and Coach Ty Draney had this to say about Visser’s recent success: “Visser had a very successful season, and we’re ready to see him come back and do it again next year.”

WHERE’S EVERYONE ELSE? SophomorePeter Visser runs at full throttle ahead of the pack at the end the state cross country meet.

Asefa Wetzel and Taylor Horsely joined Visser as all-state runners from Star Valley.

WHAT’S GONNA WORK? The cross country team poses for a picture together at state cross country where the boys finished 2nd and the girls finished 5th.